Dear Stan, lists -
Good. I tend to side with Peirce here - though I would change the wording
slightly: logic exising "outside" of human thought, meaning logic existing
independently of human thought (which is why it may be implemented, to some
degree, outside of human thought) …
Best

Den 13/09/2014 kl. 16.08 skrev Stanley N Salthe
<ssal...@binghamton.edu<mailto:ssal...@binghamton.edu>>
:

Frederick wrote:

Thought is not determined by thinking only but, importantly, by the object of
thought and the structure of sound reasoning.

This can bee pared thus using a subsumptive hierarchy:

        (objects {confronted by reactive system {using principles of logic}}}

which can read as a developmental/evolutionary sequence.

The form of this is a tree with its root, here, in 'objects'. A consequence of
this is that, since logic is a property, as far as we know, only of some? human
cultures, the innermost branches get pruned to but very few. However, Peirce
believed that logic existed outside of human thought. Taking up that position,
the tree can grow again, but the logics at the tips will not be the same as in
few that survived pruning above. That is, there must be many forms of logic,
not only the versions in a single tradition, which was Peirce's logic as well.