Clark, list,

You wrote,

        831. [Reasoning and Instinct]
        A. MS., n.p., n.d., pp. 2-29, incomplete.
        The fine gradations between subconscious or instinctive mind
        and conscious, controlled reason. Logical machines are not
        strictly reasoning machines because they lack the ability of
        self-criticism and the ability to correct defects which may
        crop up. Three kinds of reasoning: inductive, deductive,
        hypothetical. Quasi-infIerences.

    > [CG] That’s a fantastic little quote I’d not seen before.

To be sure, that's not a direct quote of Peirce, instead it's a quote of Richard Robin's summary of MS 831 http://www.iupui.edu/~peirce/robin/robin_fm/toc_frm.htm <http://www.iupui.edu/%7Epeirce/robin/robin_fm/toc_frm.htm> .

I'm still wondering how to sort out these quasi's.

Semiosis dependent on learning or on the capacity to learn:

Learning in a concentrated mind. "*Mathetic*" semiosis?
Learning in a dispersed commind. "*Symmathetic*" semiosis?
Quasi-learning by, e.g., large-scale social (without individuals commentally aware) or biological evolution, a quasi-mind or quasi-commind. "*Mathoidic*" semiosis?

Any and all of them: "*Mathinic*" semiosis?

Maybe somebody has already sorted out these or similar distinctions and suggested terms for them.

Then I'd make similar distinctions at the level of (quasi-)semiosis for systems that don't learn but still regulate themselves automatically. It involves ideas of communication and control, and the idea that the system arose from a mathinic process even though the system (e.g., a vegetable organism) is not itself mathinic. A Jacquard loom seems actually a weak example of this, although a mathinic process is required for the Jacquard loom to be set up. A pheromone is very like an indexical instance of a symbol. Something has to know the 'lingo' or the code in order to 'understand' it. It has its 'meaning' because of how it _/will/_ be interpreted by certain organisms, and the whole thing depends on its purpose, to which congenial underlying material and dynamic processes were adapted. I'd make a distinction between life and quasi-life (e.g., quasi-life would include the hypothetical Gaia, self-regulative climate systems, etc.). I suppose the idea of quasi-life could be extended like that of quasi-mind to even lower phenomena, the liquids that Peirce mentions in your quote of him. These start to seem like quasi-quasi-life and quasi-quasi-mind to me. I'm used to thinking of mind as both capable of learning _/and/_, in Peirce's excellent phrase, "theater of consciousness". I'm thinking that Peirce sees both as essential to genuine mind, if we take 'learning' as 'habit-taking'. But I'm not sure of this.

Then there are also stochastic processes (material or quasi-material causation, large numbers of particles; or behaving probabilistically as if randomly selected from swarm of particles, or something like that, my background is very limited here) and more-or-less deterministic physical/dynamic processes (efficient causation), some of which will be complex decision processes in some sense, following and affecting rules and constraints. It gets pretty murky for me here. A 'quasi-dynamic' actual process won't be a lower form if there's nothing lower physically, it could only be a higher form.

Best, Ben