From: Clark Goble [mailto:cl...@lextek.com]
Sent: 16-Sep-14 9:01 PM
To: Peirce List
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] [biosemiotics:6834] Re: Natural Propositions, Chapter 2

On Sep 16, 2014, at 12:09 PM, Benjamin Udell <bud...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

In regard to the Peirce quote from 1907 that you provided, it's also pertinent
to the discussion of biosemiosis, physiosemiosis, etc., taking place lately
here. It was in the 1906 "Prolegomena to an Apology for Pragmaticism" that he
discusses quasi-mind, quasi-utterer, quasi-interpreter
http://www.commens.org/dictionary/term/quasi-mind .

Yes, when I came upon it I noticed that connection. (Thank heavens for Kindle
and having at least EP2 available -  if only a cheap CP collection was around
that worked on Macs & iPads)

And the 1906 Prolegomena definitely is one of my favorite of Peirce’s texts -
second probably only to some of the Lady Welby texts.

It seems to me that quasi-mind, quasi-utterer, quasi-interpreter and even
quasi-signs are very important for the discussion. That’s not to say that I
disagree with Frederik once caveats are made. Just that I think Peirce sees
this very much as a continuum in complexity. While I’m dubious the continuum
works quite as broadly as Peirce sometimes suggests, the notion as a regulatory
concept is amazingly productive.

That quote you gave gets very much at the issue I initially brought up. As
Peirce says, we don’t ordinarily call this a sign but clearly there are some
resemblances.

831. [Reasoning and Instinct]

A. MS., n.p., n.d., pp. 2-29, incomplete.

The fine gradations between subconscious or instinctive mind and conscious,
controlled reason. Logical machines are not strictly reasoning machines because
they lack the ability of self-criticism and the ability to correct defects
which may crop up. Three kinds of reasoning: inductive, deductive,
hypothetical. Quasi-inferences.

That’s a fantastic little quote I’d not seen before. It also points to levels
of complexity. Obviously some complex phenomena do self-correct. The recent
advent of self-healing materials are but one example. This suggests that the
continuum is one of complexity in many ways.

My favorite discussion of these “quasi” aspects of the sign. (BTW one of my
favorite Peircean uses of “quasi” was in quasi-self when talking about
secondness and how we attribute the causes of secondness to objects despite the
same thing never happening twice in secondness. (This was in “Sundry Logical
Conceptions”)

While I may be overly generalizing I’ve long seen Peirce’s use of “quasi” as
tied to his notion of continuity but also recognizing where we sense
differences from the ideal definition but for which there is a strong
resemblance.

Since any sign function can itself be typically broken down into parts, the
role of quasi-mind becomes more clear. Peirce uses quasi-mind to deal with
these sub-parts of the sign but must also recognize there is something more
fundamental than what we call mind. Today we’d recognize this as a notion of
complexity and emergence. However it also avoids some of the messiness that
Continental philosophy took when it recognized mind, as conceived of by
Descartes, just wouldn’t work. There had to be something lower level going on.
This led to all number of excesses of metaphor and performance while Peirce had
a much more fruitful approach to describing all this.

I like to think that had people embraced Peirce’s later mature thought more
seriously a lot of the problems of philosophy in the second half of the 20th
century could have been avoided.

I should note also, getting back to the Prolegomena, the following passage that
I should have quoted in my response to Sungchul.

Let a community of quasi-minds consist of the liquid in a number of bottles
which are in intricate connexion by tubes filled with the liquid. This liquid
is of complex and somewhat unstable mixed chemical composition. It also has so
strong a cohesion and consequent surface-tension that the contents of each
bottle take on a self-determined form. Accident may cause one or another kind
of decomposition to start at a point of one bottle producing a molecule of
peculiar form, and this action may spread through a tube to another bottle.
This new molecule will be a determination of the contents of the first bottle
which will thus act upon the contents of the second bottle by continuity . The
new molecule produced by decomposition may then act chemically upon the
original contents or upon some molecule produced by some other kind of
decomposition, and thus we shall have a determination of the contents that
actively operates upon that of which it is a determination, including another
determination of the same subject. (EP 2.392)

While we could obviously and perhaps should discuss this purely as efficient
causation, I love how Peirce discusses it instead in terms of signs. It’s that
type of analysis within physics that I think could be very fruitful even if
right now I fully confess it’s not done much. (So far as I know the only
prominent theoretical physicist who is a Peircean is Lee Smolin - who has
admittedly pushed a lot of Peircean notions even if not always calling them
Peircean)