Howard, lists,

On 9/20/2014 11:12 AM, Howard Pattee wrote:

>> BU: Epistemologies are not claims about special concrete phenomena in the sense that they and their deductively implied conclusions would be directly testable for falsity by special concrete experiments or experiences.

> HP: Does your statement differ significantly from my statement, "Epistemologies are not empirically decidable, e.g., not falsifiable."?

BU: Your statement suggests that epistemologies ought but fail to be testable in the idioscopic manner of physics, chemistry, etc. Mine does not suggest that and was specific about the kind of testability which they lack - direct testability of them or their deductively implied conclusions by concrete special experiments. Epistemologies are testable as statistical principles are - in study and criticism. Likewise with math. If somebody miscalculates pi (to some number of digits) and the result is problems in manufacturing, then further investigation may point doubts toward the employed calculated value. Yes, the application was kind of test of the employed value of pi. But better math is what disproves the employed value, i.e., shows that it was indeed a miscalculation, bad math. If a statistical principle seems to be failing in concrete applications, it needs to be investigated and, if need be, corrected, at the level of theoretical statistics.

>> BU: That's also true of principles of statistics and of statistical inference, yet such principles are not generally regarded as requiring a leap of faith. Mathematics is also not directly testable by special concrete experiments, yet mathematics, whether as theory or language, is not generally regarded as requiring a leap of faith.

> HP: I don't follow your logic. If A and B are both not empirically testable that does not imply they both require a leap of faith. Of course statistics and mathematics require much less faith than epistemology. Math has rules. My next statement follows directly from the first: "True belief in any epistemology requires a leap of faith." Do you disagree?

Your next statement did not follow from the first, because your first statement did not include the claim that statistics and mathematics have better or stronger rules than epistemology and thus require less of a leap of faith.

I agree that theoretical epistemology, as a discipline, has not had the same evident success as theory of statistics. Of the sciences of reasoning and beings that reason, only the mathematical ones, which I take (in my not fully Peircean way) to be mathematical logic and theory of structures of order, seem to have escaped serious disciplinal dysfunctionality. Maybe it's because, like Peirce said, we homini sapientes aren't rational and reasonable enough, at least not yet. Or maybe there's an intractable problem with the reflexivity involved (I have nothing original to say about this). However, that doesn't mean that everybody needs to give up trying to do better than a leap of faith.

>> BU: What mathematics requires is leaps of transformational imagination in honoring agreements (hypothetical assumptions) as binding. Two dots in the imagination are as good an example of two things as any two physical objects - better, even, since more amenable for mathematical study.

> HP: That is fairly clear. Why do you think I would disagree?
Because in your original statement you said that ideas that are not 'empirically' (i.e., directly idioscopically) testable require a leap of faith. I don't think that mathematics requires much of a leap of faith. I brought up the idea of leaps of imagination as a contrast to the idea of leaps of faith.
>> BU: Some sets of mathematical assumptions are nontrivial and lead inexorably, deductively, to nontrivial conclusions which compel the reasoner. If you think that mathematics is _/merely/_ symbols, still that's to admit that mathematical symbols form structures that, by their transformabilities, model possibilities.

> HP: Of course math is not /merely/ symbols. I said, "Mathematics is the best /language/ that we use to describe physical laws. There is an inexorability in physical laws that does not exist in the great variety of mathematical concepts and rules." Do you disagree?
BU: I disagree. You say 'inexorable' but you mean inexorably physically-forceful. It's a transference of sense. I'm thinking of inexorable mathematical relations as a kind of inexorable. You're taking the word 'real' in a sense much like that of 'actual'. This is why I started asking you whether you thought numbers are objectively investigable as numbers. I was taking the _/word/_ 'real' out of it, and focusing on the meaning with which Peirce used it.
>> BU: Contrary to your claim, physical laws are not physical forces and do not depend like forces on time and rates.

> HP: I did not say laws are forces. However, current fundamental laws are /expressed/ as rate equations and involve one or more of the four known forces.

BU: You said, "Symbolic rules are not like physical material forces. Specifically, laws are inexorably time and rate-dependent." That's to talk of laws as if they were the forces of which they are the laws. The laws seem for all the world like mathematical rules nontrivially operative as laws of physical quantities such as force, mass, velocity, etc. That's why the laws can be formulated as mathematical rules, in conventional mathematical symbols and formulas.

>> BU: Instead physical laws _/are/ _ those dependences on time and rates and are expressed mathematically, which is to say that some mathematics is instantiated in the actual . . .

> HP: I only said, "Mathematics provides the most exact /symbolic language/ in which the laws are described."

BU: Mathematics is often called a 'language' but it's unlike any conventional language. It grows through deductive proofs. In a way, mathematics is deduction and vice versa. Doing creative mathematics involves doing those proofs, not just fashioning a language. Applying mathematics involves using deduction, not just expressing things with mathematical formulas. In physical and other concrete applications, mathematical deduction may seem like mere symbol manipulation because often (but not always) less mathematical insight is exerted than in doing creative, deep mathematics.

>> BU: . . . although you think that mathematical limit ideas of absolute continuity and absolute discreteness should be instantiated like photons, rocks, trees, or Socrates in order for mathematics to be real.

> HP: That is certainly /not/ how I think. All I said was, "Logic and mathematics do not involve time and rates." Peirce thought that logic should involve time, but that in its (then) present state adding time would be confusing.

BU: You said "I have no evidence that inanimate nature does even simple mathematics. Human math began with geometry and numbers. No one has discovered a point or a triangle or a number, the infinite or the infinitesimal, in Nature." I have taken that in the general context of your arguing that nominalism is the safest bet, although you are willing to think like a realist when it's useful.

_/Doing/_ logic and mathematics involves physical times and rates in _/a/ same sense as _/doing/_ physics does, insofar as the researcher is physical. Physical theory is also specifically _/about/_ physical times and rates, such that _/doing/_ physics involves _/doing/_ empirical tests of them, while mathematics does not do such empirical tests and is about physical times and rates only indistinctly, as possibilities, to the extent that the math is applicable to physical times and rates, as the same math may be applied to other things. This math is not merely capable of linguistically 'expressing' physical times and rates, it is implying predictions of how they will work and how they would work under circumstances that have not yet been observed. One seeks to find which math is applicable by testing the predictions. I've never seen anything unreasonable about the effectiveness of mathematics in idioscopy. Wondrous, yes, unreasonable, no, and I regard the wondrousness of it as the wondrousness of mathematics' endlessly metamorphic inexorabilities, some of which have been researched for their applicability to that section of possibilities embodied as our actual universe. You suggest that math is a lot freer than physics, it doesn't have the same inexorability. But it is simply not confined to a particular kind of inexorability, the kind involved in the operation of physical force.

The times that affect doing mathematics and logic by the nature of mathematics and logic (as opposed to by the nature of physics) are finitudes versus infinities. Some mathematical processes are infinite, others are finitistic. That's inexorable. Some infinite processes converge, some do not. The halting problem is inexorable. These logical and mathematical properties also affect the doing of physics. But the physical sheriff-like force doesn't always show up to enforce the rule in a way that we can discern. By "real" you seem to mean "actual" or "actual like a physical force." That's not what Peirce or most other realists mean by "real".

Really, if any mathematics is applicable, without implying falsehoods, to the actual, then all of it is in one way or another, to the extent of the transformabilities that relate all of math. The applications vary in nontriviality as well as in degree of unnecessary complication, 'epicycles' and the like; if the application is too trivial (irrespectively of triviality/nontriviality of the math itself), we say that the math is not really being applied, it's mostly about what would happen if the actual situation were modified in some imaginative or fantastical way, and we're really back in math's land of imagination. But we also never completely leave the imagination even in math's nontrivial applications to the actual, we merely confine ourselves to the more 'realistic' imagined variations of the actual. Imagination and daydream in their transformative capacities are the 'mathematical sense,' they are our cognitive access to the possible, what can be, what could be, just as concrete perception, exercising the familiar senses as a single grip, is our cognitive access to the concrete actual. In a way perception exercises all cognition in a single grip, and so it is that Peirce can uphold the doctrine that everything in the mind enters through the senses (including by observation of diagrams). Imagination and daydream are in a way the most volition-like cognition, we can freely imagine by whim and whimsy. But to honor assumptions, deduce, actually to learn something from it that is not merely the product of our whims, is to actually learn about what inexorably could be. This turns out, as Peirce said, to involve considering things only in their samenesses and diversities, not in their positive qualities, and I would add, not in their positive concrete haecceities either. I would call that a very high degree of generality.

>> BU: But "real" in a Peircean context just means capable of being objectively investigated such that various intelligences would converge sooner or later, but still inevitably, on the same conclusions, rather than on some set of mutually incompatible conclusions. You think that some sort of dynamicism is a safer and more skeptical bet than realism about generals and modalities. But the idea that varied intelligences will not tend toward agreement about mathematical conclusions is no safe bet.

So the question is, again, do you think that numbers can be objectively investigated as numbers? - such that (individually, biologically, etc.) various intelligences, proceeding from the same assumptions, would reach the same conclusions. If you do think so, then you are a nominalist or anti-realist in name only.

> HP: As I have said, numbers can be interpreted by all of the well-known epistemologies. I agree that various intelligences, various trained animals, and various computers, proceeding from the same axioms, strings rewriting rules, and programs will reach the same conclusion. This has nothing to do with how I view numbers or epistemologies.

BU: You seem like you may be limiting it to the 'automatic' or corollarial kind of inference, but supposing that you're not, then what you say is very nearly A: You agree with Peirce about the reality of generals, and very nearly B: that Peirce's realist view of generals and modalities has nothing to do with how you view numbers or epistemologies - not in the sense that you disagree with Peirce's realism, but in the sense that you and he are not discussing the same question in the first place. In that sense, his and your conclusions about epistemology etc. are not necessarily incompatible at all.

>> BU: The idea that mathematics' real end is to help physics, with which your wording suggests agreement, was put forth by some positivists, one of whom went so far as to say that mathematicians who thought themselves to have some other or broader purpose should discount their subjective feelings about it as merely illusory and due to their choice of profession.

> HP: I think you are stretching to create straw men. I made no suggestion that mathematics' real end is to help physics.

BU: I'm sorry I got you wrong. But it's hard to understand what you think mathematics' theoretical aim is, if you regard it only as a language and not as theory about something more than the way nerves act, or something like that. But maybe none of that reflects your view either.

>> BU: I could go on, but the question is, do you think that numbers can be objectively investigated as numbers? If so, then you are a nominalist or anti-realist in name only, and a realist in the Peircean sense. If not, then you do not believe that there is a reliable mathematical expression of physical phenomena.

> HP: You do not seem to understand my point about the necessity of complementary views, and epistemological name-calling is not going to help. My teacher, George Polya, said always look at number in as many way as possible. Platonism is helpful in thinking about pure math, in the style of G. H. Hardy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._H._Hardy>; formalism and constructivism are helpful in computer design, intuition is helpful in thinking about the continuum and infinity, empiricism is necessary in cognitive studies, etc. One can always view number as both objective and subjective.

As I said in my first (9/18/14) post answering Frederik, "What is preposterous is to claim that any one view of the Foundations of Mathematics <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_mathematics> is the only non-preposterous view." Historically, the so-called /foundational crisis/ in math was only between epistemologies, like Platonism, Intuitionism, Logicism, Formalism, etc. Today most mathematicians and physicists feel secure proving theorems and trying theories without being shackled by such undecidable and unproductive arguments.

BU: It's very often useful to look in things in many ways, even in incorrect ways, if one can find an interesting and fruitful pattern. Peirce looked at various orderings of the propositions in the Barbara syllogism, only one of which orderings was deductive, and one of which is still called a fallacy in deduction today, and in them he saw the deduction-induction-abduction trichotomy, and this seems to have conformed or contributed to his view that all mental action has the form of valid inference, valid inference merely sometimes mis-identified as to mode. I've often thought in the classic formalist way of math as mere marks on paper. Yet, in their following mathematical rules, they behave as diagrams or parts of diagrams, and their comparative 'bareness' seems to reflect their power to establish fantastically general lessons. Presumably you are not arguing that one should not take sides in such questions, but are arguing only that one should be able to see many perspectives even if one does not adopt them as one's own. I don't know why you think that I don't do that. You argue for a nominalist viewpoint - the "safest bet," etc. I'm arguing back, that's all.

Best, Ben