SJ:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14187
JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14194
JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14196
SJ:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14197
JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14198
SJ:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14200
JLRC:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14206

Jerry & All,

If I can remember how I got into this ... Tom Gollier split off a thread to
discuss a question from Joseph Brenner about the following fragment that he
attributed to Frederik, the original text and locus of which I do not have:

?FS: an index relies on some actual connections (read: natural interactions)
     which are either not in themselves signs (or only trivially so).

After a number of plies and replies on that thread, I recalled some long ago
discussions, diagrams, and bits of an old dissertation proposal that I thought
might serve to clarify the issue at hand, so I split off this meta-tangent to
adduce and apply that material.

To wit:

1. Inquiry Driven Systems • Indexical Signs
http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Inquiry_Driven_Systems_:_Part_1#1.3.4.9._Indexical_Signs

2. Information = Comprehension × Extension • Icons and Indices
http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Information_%3D_Comprehension_%C3%97_Extension#Commentary_Work_Note_9

o-----------------------------o-----------------------------o
|     Objective Framework     |   Interpretive Framework    |
o-----------------------------o-----------------------------o
|                   q  o                                    |
|                      ··                                   |
|                      · ·                                  |
|                      ·  ·                                 |
|                      ·   ·                                |
|                      ·    ·                               |
|                      ·     ·                              |
|                      ·      ·                             |
|                      ·       ·                            |
|                      ·        v                           |
|                      ·         o  u                       |
|                      ·        /                           |
|                      v       /                            |
|                   x  o------@                             |
|                              \                            |
|                               \                           |
|                                o  v                       |
o-----------------------------------------------------------o
| Sign u is an Icon of Object x by Virtue of Property q     |
o-----------------------------------------------------------o

o-----------------------------o-----------------------------o
|     Objective Framework     |   Interpretive Framework    |
o-----------------------------o-----------------------------o
|                                o  u                       |
|                               /                           |
|                              /                            |
|                   x  o------@                             |
|                      ^       \                            |
|                      ·        \                           |
|                      ·         o  v                       |
|                      ·        ^                           |
|                      ·       ·                            |
|                      ·      ·                             |
|                      ·     ·                              |
|                      ·    ·                               |
|                      ·   ·                                |
|                   t  o                                    |
| Sign v is an Index of Object x by Virtue of Instance t    |

I think these types of pictures succeed in illustrating the pertinent points about icons and indices for those who understand the stylistic conventions under which they are drawn, so I am mainly interested in pursuing the implications of what they do depict. The incidental question that has arisen in the meantime, as to why this class of diagrams should be so opaque to a particular class of viewers, may also detain us, but I think it constitutes a separate question.

Regards,

Jon