  From: Gary Fuhrman
  To: biosemiot...@lists.ut.ee ; 'Peirce List'
  Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:24 AM
  Subject: [biosemiotics:6976] Natural Propositions, Chapter 3.2

  Continuing our study of NP Chapter 3:

  §3.2 outlines the extension of the Dicisign concept — i.e. the range of
semiotic phenomena to which it is applicable — and lists several “merits” of
the concept (p. 52). The first of these is the one of greatest interest in
biosemiotics: “it allows for the consideration of the role played by Dicisigns
in pre-human cognition and communication in biology – and thus to envisage an
evolutionary account for the development of propositions from very simple
biological versions of proto-propositions and to the much more explicit,
articulated, nested, and varied propositions in human cognition and
communication.” In a footnote to this, Frederik makes the startling assertion
that “most if not all animal sign use displays the characteristic double
function of Dicisigns.” This is a preview, as it were, of a central task of
this chapter (and indeed of the whole book), which is to elucidate this “double
function of Dicisigns.”

  For the present, though, we are still working with the “blunt” definition of
the Dicisign as “signs which say something about something” (p. 51). I’d like
to raise a question here about the relation between Dicisigns and symbols. The
question arises from the fact that in “Kaina Stoicheia”, which is mainly about
propositions (EP2:311), Peirce names the symbol as “the genuine sign”
(EP2:307), and does not mention the “dicisign” at all. Frederik tells us that
Peirce’s “notion of propositions as it appears in the mature version of his
semiotics in the years after 1900, peaking in his Dicisign doctrine of 1903
presented in the Pragmatism and Lowell lectures and the Syllabus,” is “further
elaborated in the 1904 ‘Kaina Stoicheia’ ….” But as Frederik points out in his
footnote (p. 51) about “degeneracy,” not all Dicisigns are symbols — only
propositions are. Does this mean that non-symbolic Dicisigns — or “natural
propositions” — are degenerate in some sense? And if so, what are the
implications of this for Peirce’s doctrine of Dicisigns?

  One observation I should make here that pertains to this question: although
Peirce does not mention the “Dicisign” by that name in “Kaina Stoicheia”, I
think he does refer to it by another name, as “indexical proposition”
(EP2:310). That part of “Kaina Stoicheia” may contain a clue to answering the
question, and help to make our notion of the Dicisign less “blunt.”

  gary f.