> On Sep 24, 2014, at 6:24 AM, Gary Fuhrman <g...@gnusystems.ca> wrote:
>
> But as Frederik points out in his footnote (p. 51) about “degeneracy,” not
> all Dicisigns are symbols — only propositions are. Does this mean that
> non-symbolic Dicisigns — or “natural propositions” — are degenerate in some
> sense? And if so, what are the implications of this for Peirce’s doctrine of
> Dicisigns?

I want to reread this section before saying too much. However I took the
degeneracy to be over whether the dicisign expressed a general predicate or an
index. If the later then it is degenerate because it is missing the general
predicate.

I should also note, given our discussion in the prior two chapters on Husserl
that this position of Peirce’s flows rather well into the Ricouer/Derrida take
of metaphors as foundational for language rather than literal meaning. Peirce
manages to bridge this with the dicisign expressing its meaning via syntax but
that this meaning is either the metaphor or extreme vagueness in the case of
the index.

It might be helpful to quote the following from Minute Semeiotic which has a
very nice summary of the dicisign, although one I’m not sure everyone will
agree with. It’s cast in a slightly different form from Frederik.

Secondness in the Third Correlate originates Dicisign: the Sign that
incorporates the meaning expressed by the Syntax, i.e. the effect in the
Interpreter’s mind of the copula between the Index and the Universe which this
Index refers to. If this Universe is not a General Predicate, the Dicisign will
be indexical and the effect on the interpreter will be just to call his
attention to “something” that remains opaque. It is for this reason that we say
that the Index points “blindly”. If the Universe is a General Predicate (a
Metaphor), the copula will produce a Metonymy which is cognition. In this case,
we will have an informative Proposition. Note that the Dicisign is not the
Syntax, but the result or final effect of the copula. It occurs, therefore, on
the axis of the Signification, where the flux of Information of Semiosis
passes. A Proposition means a “state of things” that can be expressed in many
different modes: affirmative, negative, interrogative, conditional etc without
the Proposition ever suffering any type of alteration in the Information it
carries. Every Dicisign is the instantiation of an Induction and, therefore,
exists in the interior of the leading principle that rules the Inductions in
direction to the final Argument.

http://www.minutesemeiotic.org/?page_id=266

I’m not sure I’d call a general a metaphor. I do think the use of metaphor in
continental philosophy is getting towards that issue - but that’s probably one
problem with continental philosophy in that these things are vague and
ambiguous. I’m not sure I agree with their comments about induction either, but
I think I understand why they’d say that.

The Digital Peirce has some nice quotes as well I’ll include since they get at
the issue of rhemes which is important in Fredrik’s chapter. His treatment was
very well done I thought - especially how he ties parts to the process of an
argument. It is a key element that for Peirce propositions must be conceived in
terms of a kind of process philosophy rather than a static philosophy of
presence. That difference is why I think there’s such a big difference from
analytic philosophy which largely has its course set via Frege.

1903 | Syllabus: Nomenclature and Division of Triadic Relations, as far as they
are determined | EP 2:292
A Dicent Sign is a sign, which, for its Interpretant, is a Sign of actual
existence. It cannot, therefore, be an icon, which affords no ground for an
interpretation of it as referring to actual existence. A Dicisign necessarily
involves, as a part of it, a rheme, to describe the fact which it is
interpreted as indicating. But this is a peculiar kind of rheme; and while it
is essential to the dicisign, it by no means constitutes it.
[—] Or we may say […] that a Dicisign is a sign which is understood to
represent its object in respect to actual existence…

1903 | Syllabus: Syllabus of a course of Lectures at the Lowell Institute
beginning 1903, Nov. 23. On Some Topics of Logic | EP 2:275-276
The readiest characteristic test showing whether a sign is a Dicisign or not is
that a Dicisign is either true or false, but does not directly furnish reasons
for its being so. This shows that a Dicisign must profess to refer or relate to
something as having a real being independently of the representation of it as
such, and further that this reference or relation must not be shown as
rational, but must appear as a blind Secondness. But the only kind of sign
whose object is necessarily existent is the genuine Index. This Index might,
indeed, be a part of a Symbol; but in that case the relation would appear as
rational. Consequently a Dicisign necessarily represents itself to be a genuine
Index, and to be nothing more.

1904-10-12 | Letters to Lady Welby | SS 33-34
In regard to its relation to its signified interpretant, a sign is either a
Rheme, a Dicent, or an Argument. This corresponds to the old division Term,
Proposition, & Argument, modified so as to be applicable to signs generally.
[—] A proposition as I use that term, is a dicent symbol. A dicent is not an
assertion, but is a sign capable of being asserted. But an assertion is a
dicent. [—] I define a dicent as a sign represented in its signified
interpretant as if it were in a Real Relation to its Object. (Or as being so,
if it is asserted.)