Gary, you asked:

     What other ways to you have in mind?

I would have to say I think any logical relationship can link an index and
icon.  Thus, "myself and my fingerprints" might even be a better example
for the point I'm trying to make.  Instead of the implicative relationship
associated with "is," and the prescission needed to a "denote" a
quasi-thing like "red," we have the equivalence of what is denoted by
"myself" as an index and what is indicated by the qualities expressed by
"my fingerprints" as an icon.  Both "denote," each in their own way, the
same person.

I don't think what I'm "overlooking here is the existential aspect of
indexicality."  I'm just insisting on the existential aspect of the icon
via the analogy between it and what it represents.  The two kinds of
"denotation" are no doubt different in several ways, but their combination
is enough to establish logical relationships, on the one hand, and claims
of truth or falsity, on the other, with regard to our experience.

Tom