At 07:37 AM 10/17/2014, Gary Fuhrman wrote:
Howard said: To keep the discussion on the subject of Frederik's book let me explain where I see modern physics differing from Peirce's views.

GF: What does that have to do with the subject of NP? Until you can explain that, I'm changing the subject line of this thread.

HP: Frederik begins NP with some 30 pages on the historical antipsychologism movement. In Chapter 4, in order to Naturalize propositions he associates nominalism with psychologism (p. 106) with more arguments against both. Somewhere, Frederik is afraid that cognitive sciences will introduce nominalism and psychologism by the back door.

I think fighting or worrying about nominalism or psychologism is not only unnecessary, but likely to miss out on discoveries about how brains recognize and associate patterns. I am arguing that these should not be either-or epistemic or metaphysical choices. As many physicists have suggested, these are complementary interpretations that are very useful, but not empirically decidable. Trying to eliminate one or the other is counterproductive. That is why I suggested thinking about these questions:

"For how many years have the greatest minds been arguing over realism vs. nominalism? Is there any obvious trend toward a consensus? If not, why not? Do you know of any mathematical theorem, physical, biological, or brain theory that would be altered if either the truth or falsity of either view were revealed?"

HP: First, I want to emphasize that in general I agree with Peirce's philosophy of science as an attitude, not a methodology, but an attitude freed from any predisposition. I see a difference in the demands of empirical discoveries, unknown to Peirce of course, that have shown that physical laws cannot be encumbered or blocked by either analytic logics or epistemologies.

GF: Where does Peirce (or anyone!) argue that physical laws can be encumbered or blocked by either analytic logics or epistemologies?

HP: Frederik says, "Peirce based himself on the Kantian principle that any assumptions on metaphysical existence should be based upon logic. . ."

For example, continuity was a fundamental epistemological or logical assumption. Peirce: " Now continuity, it is not too much to say, is the leading conception of science. The complexity of the conception of continuity is so great as to render it important wherever it occurs. Now it enters into every fundamental and exact law of physics or of psychics that is known. The few laws of chemistry which do not involve continuity seem for the most part to be very roughly true. It seems not unlikely that if the veritable laws were known continuity would be found to be involved in them."

In Peirce's time, continuity was popular. However, theory and experiment demonstrated that this metaphysics was mistaken. Nature has an irreducible discrete component. QM also showed that classical analytic logic (the distributive law) did not fit the empirical evidence.

HP: I agree with Peirce (following Hertz): ". . . the power that connects the conditions of the mathematicians diagram with the relations he observes in it is just as occult and mysterious to us as the power of Nature that brings about the results of the chemical experiment." I also agree with the Pragmatic Maxim, especially with the meaninglessness of many issues and linguistic artifacts. But Peirce is mistaken when he claims that physicists do not doubt the reality of their results.

GF: Where does Peirce claim that physicists do not doubt the reality of their results?

HP: Frederik says, "To Peirce, no scientist in his heart doubt the reality of the general results of his research." (p.107)

Howard