Gary R., Jeff, lists,

I didn't see this before I replied to Jeff's post the other day. Yes, in some places Peirce finds only dichotomies. But as I said to Jeff, Peirce in physical metaphysics found a tyche-anance-agape trichotomy of which two, but only two, members are represented by divisions of idioscopic research; moreover, the chief divisions of his broadest three departments of discovery sciences are, in number, 3, 3, 2, respectively. One would expect 1, 2, 3, or 3, 3, 3, because they are such broad divisions, where a Peircean would expect trichotomical logicality rather than idiosyncrasy.

However, in reviewing the material, I've found that I've mistakenly omitted a consideration of taxon. Peirce in the Feb-April 1902 "Detailed Classification" divides the _/class/_ Idioscopy into two _/subclasses/_, physical and psychical. He divides the class Philosophy (cenoscopy) into two subclasses as well http://www.textlog.de/4260-2.html - epistemy (Peirce's usual idea of cenoscopic philosophy) and theoric (which resorts to special observations for certain "minute details"). In later classifications he drops the idea of theoric. Now, as to divisions of class into subclasses, Peirce does this:

Mathematics: 1 (i.e., no distinct subclasses)
Philosophy: 2 or 1
Idioscopy: 2

The divisions into phaneroscopy, normative science, and metaphysics is not a division into _/subclasses/_, but into _/orders/_. http://www.textlog.de/4260-2.html

Definitions of class and order:

   238. The first great division of science will be according to its
   fundamental purpose, making what I shall term branches of science. A
   modification of a general purpose may constitute a subbranch. All
   knowledge whatever comes from observation; but different sciences
   are observational in such radically different ways that the kind of
   information derived from the observation of one department of
   science (say natural history) could not possibly afford the
   information required of observation by another branch (say
   mathematics). I call groups based on such considerations
   /_classes_,/**and modifications of the same nature
   _/subclasses/_.**Observation is, in Agassiz's phrase, the "ways and
   means" of attaining the purpose of science. Of two departments of
   science /A/ and /B/, of the same class, /A/ may derive special facts
   from /B/ for further generalization while supplying /B/**with
   principles which the latter, not aiming so high, is glad to find
   ready-made. /A/ will rank higher than /B/, by virtue of the greater
   generality of its object, while /B/ will be richer and more varied
   than /A/. I call groups based on these considerations *orders, *or
   if based on modifications of the same sort of idea, _/suborders/_.
   [February-April 1902, "A Detailed Classification of the Sciences"
   http://www.textlog.de/4261.html ]

   If different sorts of conceptions are dealt with in the different
   families of a depart|353|ment, but the general type of inquiry is
   the same, I call it an _/order/_ of science. If the types of inquiry
   of the different orders of a department are different, yet these
   orders are connected together so that students feel that they are
   studying the same great subject, I call the department a _/class/_
   of science. [July 1902, Memoir 1, Carnegie application
   http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/menu/library/bycsp/L75/ver1/l75v1-02.htm
<http://www.iupui.edu/%7Earisbe/menu/library/bycsp/L75/ver1/l75v1-02.htm>
   ]

The quote from Peirce mentioning dreams and paranormal things discusses people's and other animals' being applied physicists and applied psychists because of how it serves their needs, and he brings up dreams and the paranormal as possibly a case where people and other animals _/lack/_ well-developed powers of grasping a mode of relations among things in space and time. I guess that, to Peirce, such would be why such things seem and indeed are fringy. Since Peirce already has essentially anancistic (physical) and agapistic (psychical) wings of idioscopy, I'd guess that he was trying to think of something tychistic, absolutely chancy stuff that doesn't obey strict laws. Now, If one tried to associate the odd things with quantum correlation, 'alternate' ways of connecting spacetime, the subjectivity of particular observations in quantum physics, it suggests that there would be no way to usefully transmit or receive information superluminally through dreams and paranormal-seeming things, and that would certainly fit in. Well, I don't really believe that there's a nontrivial connection between dreams, supposed 'spiritual' phenomena, etc. and quantum physics, but it's hard to completely close the door, and Peirce kept it a crack open in a similar way in his time.

Best, Ben