Hello Jon, Lists,

Two things:

1.  As you prepare to explain in greater detail what Peirce is doing in this
1880 essay on the algebra of logic, let me ask if you are reading the essay in
light of C.S. Peirce's reflections on his father's work on linear associative
algebra?  In particular, in what ways are you reading the essay in light of his
work on algebras dealing with higher dimensions (e.g.,  systems involving
quaternions)?  I assume that you are thinking in these terms, but I wanted to
check to see if we are on the same page here at the outset of the discussion.

2.  My hope is that you are taking up these questions about putting values to
the correlates in a triad because you were intending to work on them
anyways--and not because I've asked a few questions about what is involved in
assigning quantitative values to the triplets you are using in your explanation
of triadic relations.  The point I was trying to make about triadic relations
was meant to be fairly straightforward--and I was not trying to saddle you with
projects that might take away from your other work.  My point was based on the
explanations that Peirce gives in his discussion of dyads and triads in the
1898 "The Logic of Mathematics, an attempt to develop my categories from
within."  He makes similar points in his discussion of the logic of relatives
of 1897 (CP, 3.456) and the later essays on the nomenclature and divisions of
dyadic and triad relations.

The main idea I was trying to draw out about Peirce's account of relatives,
relations and relationships is that both dyadic and triadic relations need to
have a certain level of richness in order for quantitative values to be applied
in a meaningful way.  Heck, we can't even put them in a nominal ordering (e.g.,
like the arbitrary assignment of numbers to the players on a football team)
until things are distinguished as individuals.  So, to take an example, a dyad
of monads is something that Peirce calls an essential dyad.  An example of such
a dyad is the relationship of contained and container that holds when scarlet
is brought into a dyadic relation with red.  It is clear that such relations
are pretty simple.  In order to have something like a correlate that functions
as an individual, where a quantity might meaningfully be applied to the
individual, the dyadic relation needs to be richer than an essential dyad, and
the same is true of a contingent dyad that is inherential.   At the very least,
the dyadic relations must be accidental, relational dyads of diversity.  It is
an interesting question of how we should think about dyads of diversity that
are qualitative versus those that are dynamical--and what is needed for such
dyadic relations to be ordered in one way or another.  After all, material and
formal order can only be applied, on Peirce's account, to dyads that are
dynamical in their relations between the subjects.  One might think that the
point I making is really about applying arithmetic quantities to the relate and
correlate of a dyadic relation, but that is not the case.  The same basic point
applies to any ordering where we are treating the relate as first in the
relation and the correlate as second.

What is more, the same kinds of points can be made about triads.  Triads that
are monadically degenerate are similar in character to essential dyads, because
the correlates of such relations are combined in the way that scarlet and red
are related to each other.  In the essential triad, scarlet and red are related
in terms of both being colors.  As with an essential dyad, this triad is really
just a relation of container and contained.  Dyadically degenerate triads may
result from the combination of three essential triads, so the points that were
made earlier about dyads holds here.  All genuinely triadic relations require a
correlate that is general and sufficient to determine the relations between the
correlates.  For now, I'll largely leave to the side the questions that others
have been debating about what is determining what in a genuinely triadic
relation, and what it is for one thing to be determined by another.  I will,
however, make a couple of quick remarks off the cuff:  I would think that the
kind of determination that we're talking about would depend on whether the
genuinely triadic relation is governed by a law of quality, a law of fact, or a
representation.  After all, only the latter kind of triad is thoroughly
general.  On Peirce's account, these kinds of triads are thoroughly general
because triads involving representations are not a mere matter of law and they
are not a mere matter of fact.  They are not a mere matter of law because such
relations are living, and they are not mere matters of fact because such
relations are general.  So, to restate the point, relations involving
representation don't determine the things that are represented in the way that
the laws of fact determine the relations between existing facts, and neither
kind of determination is a matter of mere accidental relations of dynamical and
productive difference.  So, once again, I'd like to point out that we're not
just talking about applying arithmetic quantities to the correlates in
genuinely triadic relations under a law of fact or to a thoroughly genuine
triad under a representation.  The question crops up whenever we ask about the
ordering of correlates as first, second in any triadic relation.  We need to
get to level of richness in the subjects that are being brought together, and
we need certain kinds of relations to obtain between those subjects in order
for one correlate to be ordered as first in the triad, and another to be second
and another to be third.

So, I'm more than happy to encourage you, Jon, to continue down the path of
explaining what is involved in applying quantitative values in an algebraic
logic of relations--especially where we are working with a logic that has
triadic relatives and where the system has the expressive power of a logic of
second intention.  It will certainly be of great benefit for me to think more
about how conceptions drawn from the mathematics of calculus are being put to
work in such logical systems.  Having said that, I do want to point out that,
on Peirce's classification of mathematics, the calculus belongs to the middle
branch that lies between truly continuous systems and those that are finite and
discrete.  As such, the typical conception of a limit does not, on Peirce's
account find its natural home in a truly continuous system of mathematical
relations.   Systems involving the relations that are embodied in quaternions
appear to be different in character.  On Peirce's account, these are algebraic
representations of spaces that are truly geometric (i.e., genuinely continuous)
in character.  As such, I'd also be especially interested in hearing more about
how you think Peirce is drawing from the mathematics of quaternions and other
similarly rich systems of hypotheses involving true continuity in the
development of his algebraic logic of relations.

--Jeff

Jeff Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy