List,

While we're waiting for the Natural Propositions seminar to recommence, I thought I'd send this on an oddity that I've found. I think I've mentioned at peirce-l in the past that I couldn't track down a certain correction that Peirce made to a graph in "Prolegomena" - I don't mean Peirce's corrections in a subsequent issue of the Monist. In one of the digressions of my effort to reply to Jeff Downard's recent post, some key words occurred to me for a Collected Papers search, and I found Peirce's correction, mostly by luck as it turned out. Here it is. It's from a letter written by Peirce Oct.-Nov. 1913 and sent by him to F. A. Woods (scholarly details appear in this post's appendix).

   [CP 8 Bibliography: I. General: 1905 (pages 298-299)
   With brackets in the original, and Zeman-style renditions by me of
   the graphs appearing there,
   *Quote*:]

   In a letter to F. A. Woods, [Bibliography]M-22, Peirce says that the
   material in [CP] 4.569, from "For the sake of illustrating this . .
   ." up to the statement of the Fourth Permission, is wrong. He says:
   "Instead of scribing

   as I did, I should have scribed

   ". . . [This fallacy] cost me the trouble of my nonsensical
   'tinctures' and heraldry.

   "I am also sceptical as to the universal validity of my '4th
   permission.'"

   [*End quote*]

I noticed that Zeman himself doesn't include this on his site (at least where I can find it). I take it that Peirce thinks he's solved the problem of the "strange rule" (now known as a "rule of passage"), that "There is something round or blue" is equivalent to "There is something round or there is something blue."

Now, please, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the second graph seems to me to boil down to:

   There is a suicide *or* non-failure's wife.

and, equivalently, by the "strange rule", to

   There is a suicide *or* there is a non-failure's wife.

If I'm interpreting the graph correctly, he hasn't escaped the "strange rule". Said in longer way, the graph says,

   There is /x/ such that
   (/x/ commits suicide *or* there is non-failure /y/ to whom /x/ is wife).

and, equivalently,

   (There is /x/ such that /x/ commits suicide) *or* (there is /z/ such
   that there is non-failure /w/ to whom /z/ is wife).

If I'm right in my reading of the graph, then Peirce seems to have had an off day or two. 1913 was very late in his life. This would explain why it seems to have received little attention (but I'm far from well-read in the existential graphs literature). Does the letter at least show that Peirce's interest in the tinctures, the modal gamma graphs, was indeed driven mainly by his concern about the "strange rule"? I'm not even sure of that. And I don't think that that it would pertain to his interest in graphs of 'second intentions', i.e., second-order graphs, which are also gamma graphs, and are reason enough to motivate the gamma graph effort.

Any comments?

Appendix below concerns identifying the letter, its period of composition, and that it was actually sent. - Best, Ben

APPENDIX

The passage is in CP 8 Bibliography: I. General: 1905 (pages 298-298), and begins: "In a letter to F. A. Woods, [Bibliography]M-22, [....]". The letter is from 1913 and mentions something in the 1906 "Prolegomena" but the quote appears under "1905" because the series of three pragmatism papers began in 1905.

"M-22" means Item 22 under "III. Miscellaneous" in the Bibliography. It says:

   22. Woods, Frederick A. A letter, written during Oct and Nov 1913 in
   Widener VB2a. [CP] 8.380-388, except 380n4, are from it. See also
   [Bibliography] G-1905-1c for a quotation from this letter.

Did Peirce actually send the letter? End note to 8.380-388's title "To F.A. Woods, On 'Would Be'":

   (Ed.) From a long letter to "My dear Dr. Woods," written over a
   period between 14 October 1913 and 19 November 1913, with an added
   quotation in 380n4. The letter was sent to Woods, but it is now in
   Widener VB2a.

End of appendix.