Ben and list,

I agree that Poincaré's complaints about logic were excessive, probably because he was irritated more by Russell's attitude than by logic itself; but I'm still missing something about that strange theorem.

Peirce says: "The logical Principle is that to say that there is some one individual of which one or other of two predicates is true is no more than to say that there either is some individual of which one is true or else there is some individual of which the other is true."

HP: The way I interpret it there are two statements here that are not equivalent: (1) There is some one individual of which one or the other of two predicates is true. (2) There either is some individual of which one predicate is true or else there is some individual of which the other predicate is true.

Statement (1) is explicit that the two predicates refer to just one individual. Statement (2) is ambiguous about the number of individuals to which the two predicates refer, so that "some individual" in statement (2) could reside in a non-empty set of a number of individuals and that one or the other predicate could apply to one or another individual in the set.

Another topic: I also understand how one might develop higher order logics as you suggest, but I do not see what would be gained by more complex logics (except fun for logicians). As I mentioned earlier, what I still find amazing (and what in their time neither Peirce nor Poincaré could have appreciated) is that all our distance communication is today accomplished by just two symbol vehicles manipulated physically by the simplest two-variable Boolean logic. This appears to ultimate extreme of semiotic reduction or simplification. For example, the moment I typed "Ben" it became a sequence of 24 0s and 1s, and such sequences are all that is ever manipulated and transmitted throughout all our discussions (and everyone else's). Of course there are complex hierarchies of coding and parsing of these sequences, but all of this is still done by physical circuitry executing two-variable Boolean truth tables.

At this level I see no reason to introduce indices and icons.

Howard