Hi,

The commutative triangle model of semiosis provides a convenient method for
distinguishing between "interactions" and "communications":

                                f                        g
               Object ---------->  Sign ----------> Interpretant
                    |                                                      ^
                    |                                                      |
                    |___________________________|

Figure 1.  A category-theoretical model of smiosis.  f = sign production; g
= sign interpretation; h = information flow, with the commutative
condition, f x g = h, satisfied.

Step h simply means that no information would flow from the utterer to the
hearer unless and until they agree on the meaning the sign. In other words,
without Step h, Steps f and g can only transfer ENERGY from the utterer to
the hearer but not INFORMATION.  For example, if a Norwegian says something
to me in his/her native lounge, I would not receive any information,
although his/her voice would reach my ear drums and excite neurons in my
auditory cortex.  That is, the Norwegian and I will interact through sound
waves but would not communicate.

Applying this argument to biosemiotics, I would predict that
physicochemical interactions among abiotic molecules cannot carry out
smiosis unless they constitute parts of a commutative triangle with Step h
in operation.  For example, the chemical reaction, 2 H_2 + O_2 -----> 2
H_2O, is not a semiosis because this reaction is not a triadic process but
a monadic one (i.e., there is only one chemical step) and hence cannot
constitute an irreducibly triadic system as all semiosic processes are.

With all the best.

Sung

--
Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701