John, List:

Curious response!   We concur on the need to capture the essential meanings of
linguistic sentences in set-theoretic representations of the sentence. Simply
imposing formal rules on a sentence may not be sufficient to capture the
intended meaning of the logic of the sentence.  Despite this challenge, set
theoretic expressions, within the context of its formal symbolic rules, can be
extendable indefinitely and preserve valid conclusions - computer's work very
well.

In the context of electronic computers, Hilbert's criteria for mathematics are
satisfied:

Consistency. Completeness. Decidability.

Despite the flaw found by Godel for infinite numbers, Hilbert's criteria
function very nicely for finite calculations. And, BTW, Hilbert's criteria work
very nicely for chemistry, even though the symbolic logic for chemistry is very
remote from the symbolic logic of set theory and Venn diagrams.  Mathematics is
something beyond set theory!

What Ben's conclusions bring to fore, and of course, CSP's numerous logic
texts, is deeper than mere "pragmatics" ( I think the use of the term of
pragmatics in this context merely obscures the reality of the Trojan horse at
the gate. A wooden horse outside the gate remains a wooden horse inside the
gate.)

Allow a simplistic example.
We have formal symbolic logical systems for:
set theory
mathematics (at least finite arithmetic)
music
dance (yes! dance!)
chemistry

Can you suggest a philosophical and scientifically valid (validity here means
empirically reproducible) approach (beyond the slightly flawed first pair - set
theory and mathematics) to transliterate among these modes of representations
of human perceptions?

An overwhelming number of scientific and philosophical issues ride on finding a
valid transliteration between these formal logics and related informal logics
(such as the logic of inheritance.)

Viewed from a different angle, the question can be simplified to the
undergraduate level by asking:

Is set theory extendable to the unity of the natural sciences?

Cheers

Jerry