Lists,

It may not be extreme, but I think that most current realist metaphysicians
(ones who accept universals as real, like myself and David Armstrong, for
example) take a line closer to the Duns Scotus one. The more extreme view seems
to most to be difficult to distinguish from Platonism (e.g., my otherwise hero
Bertrand Russell, who came to reject particulars entirely). This isn't to say
that universals are not open-ended at any time, and that something can come to
fall under a universal.

However, Frederik, there are two slippery terms in your answer that I would
like more elucidation on, "contracted in" and "comprise". My understanding of
Armstrong, for example, does not have universals comprised of instances, but
their reality does depend on their instantiation. Myself, I take a view
slightly weaker than Armstrong in one sense, but stronger in another, and think
that universals are made necessary only by logic (including 2nd order logic) or
instantiation, in which case they are identical to natural kinds. I would not
use the word "comprise" to describe this.

This is one area that I have been sceptical of Peirce's metaphysics since I
first found it as an undergraduate over 40 years ago, and my scepticism has yet
to be put to rest. I do believe, unlike many contemporary metaphysicians, in
the existence of (some) properties (often called tropes). In fact I believe
they are more fundamental than "things", whose fundamental existence (here like
Russell) I reject.