Dear Jon, lists -

I think I can understand how Peirce would need to emphasize realism
in certain arguments or for certain audiences, imaginary or otherwise.

To Peirce, realism does not seem restricted to certain arguments or audiences -
cf. classic expositions like Boler's 1963  book on P and scholastic realism or
Max Fisch's paper on P's development from nominalism to realism.

By that standard, though, all mathematicians would be extreme realists,
as opposed to the garden variety Platonists they really are in practice.

In all but the most paradoxical or pathological circumstances, it makes
sense to say that a set is something other than its elements, and the rest
of the claim you cite would depend on the definitions of choice for terms
like "comprise", "more than", "possible number", and "instantiations".

These are just my shorthand expressions. The argument refers to the connection
between P's realism and his continuity metaphysics - I dealt with this in more
detail in ch. 2 of Diagrammatology (2007)

Still, I have a long history of using a principle like that to argue
for a measure of rationalism to leaven any mix of naive empiricism,
so I guess that makes me an extremist, too.

Certainly …

Best