Dear Prof. Mani:

Thank you for your informed response.

One of the basic questions that remains open is the relation between
thermodynamics, entropy and life.

The essential mathematical basis of this openness is, in my opinion, the role
of cycles (of any finite size.)

An essence of thermodynamic's second law is that entropy is a monotonic
decreasing function.

Given your extensive expertise in this area of copulative relations among
mathematic descriptions of entropies, do all of these varieties (not
mathematical varieties) of entropy require monotonic decreasing functions or
not?

(I am aware of the fact that one can introduce periodic forcing functions such
that physical cycles can be introduced into thermodynamic systems. This
question is intended to exclude periodic forcing functions.)

I am puzzled by the meaning of your statement:

> An example of abstraction of thermodynamic entropy is in the papers of
> Elliott H. Lieb and Jakob Yngvason

Thermodynamic entropy is an abstract physical law as well as (an often
irrelevant, for example,  biological) mathematical abstraction about heat flow.

What is the third type of abstraction that you reference?

BTW, I presume that you are aware of A. Ehresmann's work on the relation
between category theory and entropy.

Cheers

Jerry