HR:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/16098
JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/16099
HR:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/16100
AM:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/16107
JLRC:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/16109
JC:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/16112
JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/16114

Dr. Mani, List,

I have commented from time to time in several places about
a type of triadic relation that can be seen lurking behind
fuzzy logics and fuzzy sets, linking the world of fuzzy with
dominant themes in Peirce's theories of information, inquiry,
and signs.

Here's a typical comment from the FOM list that I reposted on my blog:

1. http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/11/27/fuzzy-sets-and-triadic-relations/

Triadic Relations, Intentions, Fuzzy Subsets : 1 Posted on November 27, 2012
by Jon Awbrey

Re: Lotfi Zadeh

Way back during my first foundational crisis (1967–1972), I had been willing to
consider almost any alternatives to
the usual set theories, so I can remember looking at early accounts of fuzzy
set theory. There was in addition a link
to certain issues that came up in my studies of C.S. Peirce, especially the
idea that many of the dyadic relations we
use in logic, mathematics, and semantics — typically functions that assign
meanings and values to symbols and
expressions — are better understood if taken in the context of triadic
relations that serve to complete and
generalize them.

My line of thought went a bit like this:

Consider a fuzzy set as a triadic relation of the form x ∈r S among an element
x,
a degree of membership r, and a set S.

Ask yourself: Where do these assigned degrees of membership come from? Imagine
that they come from averaging the
results of many judges making binary {0, 1} = {Out, In} = {∉, ∈} decisions.

Now consider the more fundamental triadic relation from which this data is
derived, the relation of the form x ∈j S
that exists among an element x, an interpreter (judge, observer, user) j, and a
set S.

That formulates fuzzy sets in a way that links up with many Peircean themes.

I added a bit more exposition here:

2.
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/12/07/triadic-relations-intentions-fuzzy-subsets-2/
3.
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/12/07/triadic-relations-intentions-fuzzy-subsets-3/

We also had some discussion on the Peirce List.  Here are my blog re-posts:

a.
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/12/06/triadic-relations-intentions-fuzzy-subsets-%E2%80%A2-discussion-1/
b.
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/12/08/triadic-relations-intentions-fuzzy-subsets-%E2%80%A2-discussion-2/