Jeff, Jon, lists,

Jeff, I think your response to Jon's concerns about Ketner's comments in *A
Thief of Peirce* makes good sense, while I'm uncertain exactly what you
meant by your concluding comment.

Regarding Jon's 1st concern that "icons are not the most general types of
signs and so the leap to signs in general falls a bit short."

​You wrote:​
​JD:
 if we agree that every kind of dicisign or argument involves iconic
qualisigns, sinsigns and legisigns as component parts, then the leap to the
generalization may not be problematic.  Even in cases where we abstract
from many of the iconic features of the component signs, iconic features
remain nonetheless, or self-controlled reasoning about such signs would not
be possible.

In a word, abstraction from certain iconic features yet leaves some "iconic
features" such that reasoning about dicisigns and arguments remains
possible; so, generalizing does not necessarily do away with certain iconic
features. Makes sense to me.

As to Jon's 2nd concern having to do with " the many senses of the word
"model" and not having read Ketner's "Thief" I don't know which of the
multitude he has in mind."

​You wrote: ​JD:
 if we replace Ketner's use of the word "model" with "diagram,"
​[. . .]
 much of the weight of what Peirce is claiming falls on the conception of a
skeleton diagram.

​I think that's correct and, indeed, in the Ketner passage from *Thief*
with which I conclude this post, Ketner explicitly equates 'model' and
'diagram' in remarking that mathematics is "the science that models
(diagrams) relations in areas under study."

This brings us back to Peirce's notion of "abstractive observation," which
he says is familiar to and offers no problem for ordinary folk, but seems
to become problematic for some theorists.​

​CSP: [The ordinary person]
makes in his imagination a sort of skeleton diagram, or outline sketch, of
himself, considers what modifications the hypothetical state of things
would require to be made in that picture, and then examines it, that is,
observes what he has imagined
​ [. . . ,]
 such a process,
​[being]
 at bottom very much like mathematical reasoning
​ [allows us to]
 reach conclusions as to what would be true of signs in all cases, so long
as the intelligence using them was scientific.

​And, again, by a "scientific intelligence" Peirce means one "capable of
learning by experience."​ So, I'm a bit uncertain as to what your intended
meaning is in writing: JD:
My assumption is the phenomenological categories of monad, dyad and triad
(or first, second and third) are the formal features that we observe when
we make any kind of skeleton diagram.  That is, the formal relations of
monad, dyad and triad are the "a priori" formal elements that are necessary
for constructing and then reasoning about such skeleton diagrams.

​I'm not sure if the (abstract) categories *as such* (as opposed to
particular relations) are the​ *actual *features we observe. Perhaps I'm
just missing something here, but if you'd further explicate your remarks it
would be helpful. I think your remark may relate to what
Ketner
​says as he ​
continues his analysis of the passage we've been discussing
​. In the following passage he considers,
especially, "visual diagrams" (although he's just made some brief remarks
on auditory and other diagram types).

KK: . . . Pierce thought sight was probably best adapted for detecting new
features of relational patterns in diagrams that model triadic relations
presently under study. People sometimes say, when they want an explanation,
"Draw me a picture." To "Draw a picture," then, would be to proceed in the
way that Peirce would have recommended in response to the question "How can
we study phenomena rich in triadic relations if dyadic considerations alone
cannot exclusively do the explanatory job?" If we add that Peirce
recognized algebras and other arrays of symbols as visual diagrams, then we
can state that mathematics, not in the narrow sense in which it is usually
understood today, but as the science that models (diagrams) relations in
areas under study, would be among the finer tools for "drawing pictures"
that humankind has yet developed (Ketner, 278).

Best,

Gary

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*