I recall that Peirce said the act of abduction creates an "emotion" within the
individual.  It struck me at the time.  I took it to mean a good feeling
imprinted during infancy, when a mother (caregiver) consistently rewarded the
baby-infant for learning.

Emotion building with mama:
1- the act of Abduction
leads to ...
2- A problem is solved
which results in ...
3- A "good feeling" of love, encouragement
... which generates a desire to abduct again.

One's basic emotional state is pretty firmly established by age 3-4.
Therefore, while mama is smiling and praising and kissing baby for figuring out
how to navigate the world, baby learns that being a creative problem-solver is
a good thing.

Eventually the individual's character incorporates an "emotional sign
relationship":
Object: Happiness
Sign: Abduction
Interpretant: Developing a better approach for addressing a challenge
... which results in greater happiness and a desire to abduct again.

As a result, people abduct hypotheses about things they know very little about,
for problems in which they have little or no personal stake.  We do it for
sport -- usually internally, without telling others.  We do it so often that it
is almost an unconscious act.  We do it (I believe) in early (non-REM) stages
of dreaming.

Regarding "instinct":
Regardless of Peirce's comments, I question/doubt if instinct provides a firm
foundation for explaining Man's logical proclivities.  Instincts are what a
representative Man is born with, independent of teaching or other social
assistance.  In the case of logical thought, that is an unobservable
phenomenon.  If a child is without any social contact, it never becomes a
decision maker and never makes logical choices (beyond the decision to cry for
attention).  If it is given food and no attention, the baby will likely (based
on actual experience) develop into an insecure, broken person who is not
equipped to solve problems.

Inasmuch as no individual man creates knowledge purely on instinct alone, it
seems more likely that Peirce was speaking of Mankind when he remarked on the
role of instinct -- as in: Mankind has created an incredible amount of
knowledge, considering the fact we started at near zero and have not been
assisted by any outside/higher forces.  Other creatures must perforce lack the
"instinct" that Man has for solving problems.

These are my thoughts after reading that passage in Peirce about the "emotion"
associated with abduction.  I would be happy to receive
comments/critiques/extensions.

Regards,
Tom Wyrick