Ben ~
Thanks for posting this item.  I particularly focused on this reference to
emotion: "an affective satisfaction which one may get with an abductive
inference and which helps motivate one to abductive inference."  I believe it
is important to distinguish logic from the motive force(s) that propels it.
Otherwise "logic" and "emotion" are not sighs that can be independently
manipulated in this (or other) analyses.  Other forms of life may use "logic,"
but not be motivated by emotion.

After looking at the dictionary definition of instinct, it seems that pain,
pleasure and other "instincts" can be traced back to dna:  structures of the
body including nerves in our central nervous system. Instincts are triggered by
things taking place in the "environment" -- i.e., outside of the body.  The
instinct to have sex, for example, is explained by thousands of nerve endings
that make the act pleasurable for both parties.  Take those nerve endings away,
and you have a species that doesn't procreate rapidly enough to avoid
extinction.  (That is presumably why those nerves evolved in the first place.)

When Peirce referred to the emotion produced by music, I don't believe he was
referring to the noise that our senses detect, but the feelings of nostalgia,
comfort, etc. triggered by a particular combination of noises. They harken to
some past experience that has emotional value to the listener.  Those feelings
are idiosyncratic, not hard-wired into all humans. Otherwise, everyone would
listen to the same songs. Probably reggae ;)

I started reading a dissertation on Peirce's views of emotion, instinct, etc.
The author (a psychologist) has high regard for Peirce, but cautions against
accepting things he write as the final word on a topic, because Peirce would
often revisit the same issue a few years later and develop a somewhat different
analysis, or sometimes use different terms to describe the same thing.  For
those with an interest, see the title below:
http://scholarcommons.usf.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1133&context=etd

Regards,
Tom Wyrick

The dissertation title:
Peirce on the passions: The role of instinct, emotion, and sentiment in inquiry
and action