Claudio, list,

Just a quick response to one suggestion in your post. You wrote:

I think [. . . ] that instinct is some how related to secondness, to a more
(so to say) 'biological' aspect,

I would agree that instinct must involve the 'biological'. But I'm not so
sure that even there I'd limit it to 2ns because of its tendency towards
regularity, habit (3ns), while instincts have there own characters (1ns).
But I also haven't given this enough thought yet. I'm pleased, however,
that John introduced the topic as I'm hoping we'll be able to think it
through together.

I'm not clear what you meant in writing "we read and study Peirce, but then
we write and understand was is written in a strict 'positivist' way."

I don't see this "strict" positivist approach as occurring here, at least
not with the frequency you seem to be suggesting. Certainly pragmaticism,
three faceted Peircean inquiry (abduction, or hypothesis formation->
deduction of the implications for testing -> induction as a testing of the
hypothesis), triadic semiotic, etc. would seem to preclude such 'strict
positivism' in all our inquiries. So, would you expand on your comment a
bit further?

Best,

Gary

[image: Gary Richmond]