From: Sungchul Ji <s...@rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Instinct and emotion
To: Stephen Jarosek <sjaro...@iinet.net.au>
Cc: PEIRCE-L <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>

Stephen J, lists,

Stephen: " . . . this still does not explain the “technology” behind
reading DNA and how said data gets transformed to thoughts and actions."

Sung: Figure 1 explains a lot about how DNA is read by the living cell to
generate thoughts and action in humans, because it

(i) suggests that Peirce's irreducible triadic relation (ITR) may be
involved (which is a new idea, to the best of my knowledge), and

(ii) directs you where to go if you want to KNOW more abut any of the nodes
or steps.  For example, if you want to KNOW more about how DNA is read,
i.e., Step g,  just google "gene expression" and you will find enough
papers and books to read for the rest of your life.

Biological Evolution  ------------->  DNA  -----------------> Life
         (object)                         (representamen)
(interpretant)

                    ^

Figure 1.  DNA as the representamen of the biological evolution.  f =
encoding during the process of evolution (i.e., origin of life and
phylogensis); g = decoding performed by the living cell (also called gene
expression or ontogenesis); h = genetic information flow (also called
inheritance).  The commutativity condition is thought to be held, i.e., f x
g = h.

All the best.

Sung