Jim, List

On Aug 5, 2015, at 1:49 PM, Jim Willgoose wrote:

> Jerry.
>
>  i diasagree.

Can you articulate what it is that  you disagree with?  (It was a detailed
reply!)

>  I think the rhema represents the very possibility of connecting an object to
> the icon and acheiving a particular proposition.
Of course, that is purpose and intent of the definition, is it not?
What is it you are seeking to express?

> 1) being of the nature of H  ICON
>
> 2) Hx  ( or F......  to be completed) RHEME
>
> 3) Ha  PROPOSITION  (completed through the indice)
>
> 4)  ExFx  Argument

These four phrases are unintelligible to me.
The presuppositions and meanings are not decipherable in the language of CSP.

> Where does the medad enter?

Term logic requires terms!
The Peircian medad enters in every sentence of every proposition, does it not?
How could it possibly be otherwise?

> In one sense, it can only be the collection of properties of H, or the
> immediate object 'a.'  Semantically, I have merely moved from "This is
> hydrogen" to "There is hydrogen"  So, I guess the ens a se would just be H.

What are you talking about?  Certainly not "ens a se".

> The object 'a' becomes merely a tool for reference.  It strikes me that it
> doesn't matter that H is, or where it is.

????
The chemical reference system is the table of chemical elements; the ordering
of the chemical elements is a consequence of physical measurements and laws.

> In another sense, I have to separate those properties  from the putative
> object for the sake of cognition. But that is just conceptual. The experience
> of H would be like "heat lightening."
> unthought so long as it remained that way. Well, that is close to an example
> that Peirce uses for a medad.
For the relations between medad, icons and rhema, see 3.421, MS 410 (p. 11-13)
cited by Don Roberts on page 23-24 and 3. 469 on the icons relating indexes to
a chemical medad.

> Jim W

The goal is to relate CSP's logic of mathematics /chemistry to the logic of
mathematics / chemistry as it is used today, roughly 150 years later.

CSP makes a direct comparison to the two logics in W6:37. Letter to Noble on
the Nature of Reasoning (1887)  He often cites chemical reasoning as examples
of his logical processes.

Jim, your comments seem to neglect this aspect of the radix (roots) of CSP's
logic and realism / pragmatism.

I will be away from my desk (and CSP texts) for the next five weeks.

Cheers

Jerry