Hi Jerry,

Did you mean that First, Second and Third are adjectives and Firstness,
Secondness and Thirdness are nouns ?

All the best.

Sung

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Jerry LR Chandler <jerry_lr_chand...@me.com
> wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> *From: *Jerry LR Chandler <jerry_lr_chand...@me.com>
> *Subject: **Re: [PEIRCE-L] Peirce and Practopoiesis: now I understand it
> better*
> *Date: *September 28, 2015 11:19:21 AM CDT
> *To: *Danko Nikolic <danko.niko...@googlemail.com>
>
> Dear Danko:
>
> Would you like to consider a question?
>
> After struggling with the numerous statements of Firstness, Secondness,
> and Thirdness for several years, I settled on one of his latest renditions
> because of its mathematical implications as well as biochemical
> interpretations, that is the version given in his private letter to Lady
> Welby.
>
> In recent weeks, as a consequence of explorations of the meaning of
> identity in utterances, statements and propositions, it occurred to me that
> CSP proposes these terms in such a grammatical way that is extremely
> innovative. (Recall that CSP depended heavily on English grammar to
> formulate his logical propositions, such as in the medad and the trichotomy
> of nine nouns as a universal logical/relational argument for whatever.)
>
> Presuppositions:
> The terms First, Second and Third are nouns.
> The suffix term, "-ness" functions grammatically by changing nouns into
> adjectives.
>
> Example:
> The ball is red.
> The red ball is (predicate)
> The redness of the ball is (predicate)
>
> My conjecture is that CSP is intentionally invented these terms to infer a
> special class of objects that intrinsically communicate, grammatically,
> terms that implicitly contain the qualities of both being a noun and an
> adjective.
> Thus each of the three terms (Firstness, Secondness, and Thirdness)
> contains in its sub-parts, roots of both.
>
> Note that this usage of "x-ness" is consistent with his chemical training
> and modern chemical logic.
> The formal logic of two atoms combining to form a molecule is of this type
> of usage.
>
> Is this consistent or non-consistent with your meanings?
>
> I presume that you will find this to be a strange question. I pose it to
> provide you an opportunity to explore the foundation of CSP logic in the
> hard sciences, which is direct and wide-ranging and not at all amazing as
> you suggest.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jerry
>

> On Sep 28, 2015, at 3:57 AM, Danko Nikolic wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>

> When I presented the list with the theory of practopoiesis and suggested
> that the three traverses can account for abductive reasoning, I also
> received a number of questions regarding Peirce's work to which I had no
> answers. The reason I had no answers was that I did not know much about
> work of Peirce other than abductive reasoning.

> [...]

Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701