Matt, List ~

No, I don't think I did misunderstand what second-best means.  In fact,
economists (which I am) have a theory of second-best which I studied in grad
school about 100 years ago, and it sounds very much like what you are
describing.  So let's turn the question around: Did Plato know about evolution
or Pragmatic logic when telling us to pursue second-best objectives?

I cannot respond specifically to your question about the rationality of suicide
in the cases you identified, due to my lack of information on the subject.
Also, you are focused on small (extinct) groups, whereas I discussed humanity.
 However, if I kill myself 5-minutes before someone else is going to kill me,
that does not define me as suicidal.  Edwina did not say the extinction of her
own species would be inconsequential.   So I don't think your examples are
pertinent to my argument.

I made three simple points, which were not addressed by your comment: 1- Logic
(that survives) has a Pragmatic purpose.  2- The human ability to manipulate
logic evolved for the specific purpose of ensuring the survival of humans.  3-
Therefore, when humans use logic to construct social institutions, survival of
the species is the appropriate (first) objective.

Far more difficult is the task of translating the objective of survival into
social policy.  Yet, if we forget about survival and begin with some other
objective (e.g., democracy), then vast numbers of people will take exception to
it.  That's the current situation in much of the world today: People believe
their own idiosyncratic (second-best) objectives are paramount, and
kill/threaten/enslave/disrespect/marginalize others who disagree.  It is
difficult to believe that represents the pinnacle of human potential.

Regards,
Tom Wyrick