List,

Michael Shapiro and I attended the first of the lectures in the seminar
series which Fernando Zalamea is giving at Pratt in New York City. For now
I'll only say that this seminar will, I believe, prove to be a substantial
gift to practitioners and students of mathematics, philosophy, cultural
studies, art, literature, music, etc.

As you saw in the announcement Ben posted, the lectures will be held every
Tuesday and Wednesday in October with a concluding Round Table discussion
on Saturday, October 24th. Unfortunately, because of schedule conflicts I
will be unable to attend all the seminar events but, fortunately, the
slides for each lecture will be offered after each lecture at this site:
https://zalameaseminarnyc.wordpress.com/ The lectures themselves are
expected to be posted at this site http://thenewcentre.org/seminars/ some
time in the future. We'll let you know when they become available.

The first lecture was, naturally, an overview of the seminar. Suffice it to
say that I'm glad I'd done a little self-study in topology a few years ago.
While Zalamea promised to say some things directed to non-mathematicians in
the course of the series, this first lecture was necessarily mathematics
heavy. Other lectures promise to find cultural applications of the
mathematical concepts being considered. The specifically Peirce-related
lecture will be the third on Wednesday, Oct. 14th.

Best,

Gary

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*