Edwina

>”I'm not quite sure what you mean by the 'association of habits'. A habit
is the continuity of a system of organization - it can be an organized set
of actions, an organized set of matter. Then, habits (plural) can associate
or network with other habits....and not network with yet other habits.“

Peirce appreciated the central importance of habit and association in
cognitive processes, and this is evident throughout his writings. The
essence of his view is captured in Peirce (1931-1966):
'There is a law in this succession of ideas. We may roughly say it is the
law of habit. It is the great "Law of Association of Ideas," - the one law
of all psychical action.' (CP 7.388)

Habit and association are covered more specifically as aspects of a general
law of mind, in Book III, Philosophy of Mind (CP 7.388-7.523) (chapters 2
and 3 are on association and habit respectively), in Peirce (1931-1966)

>“Your outline seems to rule out both Secondness and Firstness; i.e., direct
brute interaction and spontaneous chance.“

I do not understand on what basis you infer this.

>”This also means that you rule of evolution and adaptation, for, without
these two modes - neither can take place.“

Definitely not. While I do not include natural selection in an axiomatic
context (others might have justification for doing so, but this is not my
choice), I definitely do accept that it plays a significant part in the
rough-and-tumble of adaptation. Natural selection is one mechanism among
several.

sj

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the 'association of habits'. A habit is
the continuity of a system of organization - it can be an organized set of
actions, an organized set of matter. Then, habits (plural) can associate or
network with other habits....and not network with yet other habits.

Your outline seems to rule out both Secondness and Firstness; i.e., direct
brute interaction and spontaneous chance. This also means that you rule of
evolution and adaptation, for, without these two modes - neither can take
place.

As I said - I totally reject the reductionist 'theory' of Dawkin's 'memes';
culture is far more complex than a set-of-beliefs.

I agree that life is inevitable, not accidental, based on the laws of
thermodynamics (complexity and entropy).

Edwina