Compare the laws of mathematics and the law of gravity. No law needs to be instantiated, which means the second within that third need not be two existing things. Gravity and mathematics are laws that are real without regard to any physical effects that act in their accord. This is why I say, within relativist-historicism, that the law of gravity is a creation of man, whereas the bruteness of things acting in its accord may not be.

I do question, within Peircean philosophy, whether what we call bruteness is really just a more refined third abstracted from a complex of thirdness. We can deduce, from knowledge of the form of a third, that a second is within; but we can't say anything about that second. Seconds have to be abstracted from Thirds, otherwise you'll have to admit that there might be a second completely isolated from reality and therefore unknowable. So seconds' constant association with their thirds, in reality, I think leads some people to think they're experiencing secondness when it's really a less complex level of thirdness. A second without regard to a third cannot be defined. It has no character without that third, nor relation (e.g., there is no concept of measuring their distance without introducing a third, so the very concept of distance has no meaning without a third, nor is there a force of their impact until a third is introduced), so it can't be whiffed. This is the reason that idea of 'experiencing firstness' always struck me as an absurdity. I have to believe that they're only whiffing a paired down third.

Matt

On 10/16/15 2:27 PM, Edwina Taborsky wrote:
Matt- when I said that 'gravity is a natural force' - I meant it is a law that 'forces' matter to behave in interaction with other matter according to the strength of the gravity. Is gravity a mode of Thirdness? Certainly, habits are arrived at via construction. Now, Secondness assumes that 'something concrete exists' - some THING...differentiated from some OTHER THING. That's where the idea of 'Secondness' comes in - that duality, that dyad. Now, to be a 'Thing' means that it is organized in itself. This, to me, suggests that it already is operating - just in itself - within the organizational mode of Thirdness. So - the interaction between the two things may be strictly within a mode of Secondness but the existential nature of each thing - must include Thirdness. So - is gravity a mode of Thirdness? I'm going to say - yes. I'm not 100% sure but I can't see it as anything else. Laws are, after all, Thirdness. Gravity is a natural law - a law 'natural' to matter and when gravity interacts with matter - it does X. When there is LESS gravity, then, matter behaves differently. So, this law, this gravity actually organizes how matter functions. So - I'll conclude that gravity is a mode of Thirdness.
Edwina

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Matt Faunce <mailto:mattfau...@gmail.com>
    *To:* Edwina Taborsky <mailto:tabor...@primus.ca> ; Peirce-L
    <mailto:peirce-L@list.iupui.edu>
    *Sent:* Friday, October 16, 2015 2:10 PM
    *Subject:* Re: Fwd: Re: [PEIRCE-L] A Second-Best Morality

    On 10/16/15 12:36 PM, Edwina Taborsky wrote:
    Matt- the 'precognitive' physical world functions in all three
    modes: Firstness, Secondness and Thirdness.  After all, the
    habits of formation of a molecule of water are an example of
    Thirdness and an example, according to Peirce, of the operation
    of Mind. I will yet again, repeat from 4.551 (I ought to know it
    by heart by now!)...
    "Thought is not necessarily connected with a brain. It appears in
    the work of bees, of crystals, and throughout the purely physical
    world".

    Yeah, "pre-cognitive" was a bad choice of words, since "cognition"
    is distinguished from "thought". I conflated the two terms. I was
    just thinking of Secondness.

    Hmm,  I find your comment that 'a constructed god' is as real as
    gravity to be questionable. Gravity is a natural force; an
    ideology about a god(s) is imagined by man.

    I was talking about the law of gravity, which isn't a force.

    Margolis counts the world of secondness as prior to any
    construction. I'm weighing this against the more Madhyamaka idea
    of it all. I can see how we should think that the secondness
    abstracted from the law of gravity is not a construction.

    If you're referring to gravity as a third, then you're making the
    distinction, about what is constructed and what isn't, in a
    different place than me. I think all thirds are constructions.

    Matt