Holy crap! I was never said anything about abstracting particles from generals, or counting particles. You gave everything I said the wrong interpretation. We have a serious communication breakdown here.

On 10/16/15 7:32 PM, Edwina Taborsky wrote:
Matt- see my replies below:

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Matt Faunce <mailto:mattfau...@gmail.com>
    *To:* Edwina Taborsky <mailto:tabor...@primus.ca> ; Peirce-L
    <mailto:peirce-L@list.iupui.edu>
    *Sent:* Friday, October 16, 2015 6:04 PM
    *Subject:* Re: Fwd: Re: [PEIRCE-L] A Second-Best Morality

    Edwina,

    This gets at something that's been bugging me for a long time
    regarding the categories.

    1) MATT: Compare the laws of mathematics and the law of gravity.
    No law needs to be instantiated, which means the second within
    that third need not be two existing things.
    EDWINA: Sorry - I don't know what you mean by this (second without
    that third).
    2) MATT: Gravity and mathematics are laws that are real without
    regard to any physical effects that act in their accord. This is
    why I say, within relativist-historicism, that the law of gravity
    is a creation of man, whereas the bruteness of things acting in
    its accord may not be.
    EDWINA: Gravity is real and universal and exists quite
    independently of mankind, and defined by its physical effects -
    namely, the attraction of mass for other mass. Again, totally
    independent of man - after all, gravity as a force existed long
    before mankind! Surely  you aren't referring simply to the formula
    for figuring out the effect (Newton's Law). Gravity as that force
    is quite indifferent to the mathematical formula.

    3) MATT: I do question, within Peircean philosophy, whether what
    we call bruteness is really just a more refined third abstracted
    from a complex of thirdness. We can deduce, from knowledge of the
    form of a third, that a second is within; but we can't say
    anything about that second.
    EDWINA: No. Thirdness is a generalization of habitual modes of
    organization and there is no discrete particle (a Secondness)
    within Thirdness.
    4) MATT: Seconds have to be abstracted from Thirds, otherwise
    you'll have to admit that there might be a second completely
    isolated from reality and therefore unknowable. So seconds'
    constant association with their thirds, in reality, I think leads
    some people to think they're experiencing secondness when it's
    really a less complex level of thirdness.
    EDWINA: No- you don't abstract a particular from a general. What
    happens is that the 'right-now' instantiation (Secondness)  of a
    long-term general (Thirdness) is guided within its 'right-now'
    emergence by the rules/laws of the general.
    5) MATT: A second without regard to a third cannot be defined. It
    has no character without that third, nor relation (e.g., there is
    no concept of measuring their distance without introducing a
    third, so the very concept of distance has no meaning without a
    third, nor is there a force of their impact until a third is
    introduced), so it can't be whiffed. This is the reason that idea
    of 'experiencing firstness' always struck me as an absurdity. I
    have to believe that they're only whiffing a paired down third.
    EDWINA: Thirdness is not a third particular existential unit.
    Thirdness is a continuous non-particular general mode of
    organization. It cannot exist per se, i.e., on its own. It exists
    only as expressed within individual instantiations (Secondness).

    Your terms of 'second' and 'third' refer to NUMBERS, not to the
    Peircean categorical modes - which are modes of organization - and
    have nothing to do with  numbers.
    Firstness is a mode of experiencing an interaction - it is an
    'acceptance of stimuli' (say a blast of heat) _without_ awareness
    of it as 'heat'; without even awareness of it as differentiation
    from yourself.

    Matt