Edwina ~
I agree the original quote represented a nominalist perspective of logic -
which I previously called a black box whose contents forever remain a mystery.
But that quote 'almost' painted a picture of the dynamics of connecting objects
to interpretants in the brain, so I touched up the image with a few facts from
Wikipedia.

More broadly, the philosopher's perspective of logic is (appropriately)
different from that of one who uses logic as a tool for Pragmatic purposes.
Sometimes, failing to make that distinction leads to misunderstood comments
about logic.

Philosophers almost never observe logic until after the deed is done.  They
always use words. Sometimes they express ideas about logic in
lyrical/rhetorical ways to persuade others their insights are true. It is
possible to 'win' a debate among philosophers while actually being wrong, so
the search for truth may be long delayed.

Those who use logic as a tool have a more dynamic perspective. They're
concerned with solving several puzzles simultaneously, looking ahead rather
than behind, mediating between different objectives, abducting on the fly.
Errors are quickly exposed by a Pragmatic universe that does not yield to false
beliefs.

Regards,
Tom Wyrick