James,

Well, looking it up, I can't find serendipidous, but I found serendipitous,
which is defined as "occurring or discovered by chance in a happy or
beneficial way", which is what I noted in my last post. If you think that a
scientific strategy that occurs or is discovered by chance in a happy or
beneficial way is what will produce convergence, I must confess that I can
not see it the way you do. I believe I will have to leave it at that. If
you think you can make this connection you observe clearer, I'm all ears
(so to speak).

There is no foundation, on Peirce's view (as I understand it), which we can
> identify as the justification of our beliefs by tracing our beliefs back to
> them.  The Peircean truth-criterion looks forward and not backward.

This we agree upon. Of course, I take it that by looking forward, is meant
the constant readiness to submit belief to experiential, experimental test.
So if Aristotle's first principles ultimately end up not passing such
testing, then we should be prepared to give them up; their continued
adoption is dependent on how well they continue to explain the phenomena we
experience.

With respect to your comment on social prejudices, I'm aware of what he
says about the a priori method in the Fixation of Belief article. In fact,
since our guesses can be so prejudiced, it is all the more important that
such guesses be put to inductive, experimental testing. Which brings me to
another part of the Fixation article that you refer to:

My use of 'serendipidous' was motivated by a reflection on Peirce's
> definition of the scientific method in "The Fixation of Belief" - which is
> perhaps not yet as clearly developed as it could be. The scientific method
> is there described as a method which consists of allowing Reality to affect
> the content of our opinions. To this we may object that our opinions are
> always and invariably affected by the real conditions in which they emerge,
> so that this definition does not tell us what is distinctive about the
> scientific method. What we are talking about, then, is a *particular* way
> in which Reality can be induced to affect our opinions - namely a strategy
> that consists in creating situations where the observed result can be
> expected to be different, depending on whether our hypothesis is true or
> false.

Allowing Reality to affect the content of our opinions is conducted by
submitting our beliefs to inductive testing--we directly interact with the
Real to find out whether it answers to our belief about it or not, and this
is what Peirce means at this point in the Fixation article. As the series
of articles continues (of which the Fixation article is the first of that
series, "Illustrations of the Logic of Science"), Peirce goes on to explain
the need to predesignate hypotheses and the significant characters we are
looking for. This is why in the Doctrine of Chances article in that series,
he works to show that a chance universe is completely systematic, but can
never make any explanation more likely than any other, because everything
in a pure chance universe is singular and logic, being about what is
general, is impossible. But we do observe order, this means we do not live
in a pure chance universe, and that means that rather than trying to choose
characters based only upon systematic considerations, we must make our
selection with respect to some purpose and thus predesignate what we are
looking for. Hence the development of a strategy for understanding reality,
paying attention to the conditions that are conducive to bringing about the
desired result, and so forth. I'm not sure we really disagree, but I wanted
to point out that the Fixation article is the first of a six paper series
that goes on to explain in detail the logic of science and scientific
method, as Peirce says at the end of the Fixation article. So I think it's
very misleading to say that the definition of the scientific method in "The
Fixation of Belief" is perhaps not yet as clearly developed as it could be,
since it is precisely the aim of the series of papers to clarify what is
meant by the scientific method and how it ought to proceed, and Peirce
explicitly says this. The first step in understanding it is by
acknowledging that it must test itself against the Real, and the rest of
the papers go on to detail how this is supposed to work out.

With respect to Aristotle and experimentation, I take it that you grant my
point, however, that experimentation doesn't have a prominent place in his
account of proper method, nor does he pursue it in any sustained way. He's
mostly making observations and deducing conclusions from them, rather than
putting hypotheses to experimental test.

-- Franklin

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 4:37 PM, James Crombie <james.crom...@usainteanne.ca