Jerry,

I still don't understand what you mean by your mantra

""The union of units unites the unity."

Sung

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Jerry LR Chandler <
jerry_lr_chand...@me.com> wrote:

> I heartily disagree with Jon's interpretation of the CSP's writings with
> respect to the concept of a relation.
>
> Jon's basic hypothesis of the concept of expressing mathematics as
> "tuples" (a set of symbols? a set of numbers? a permutation group? a
> vector? discrete semantic objects?) obfuscates the question of what is
> meant by the term "relation" (relative, relate, correlate) and other
> entailments of the Latin root from which these terms originate, e.g.,
> illate.
>
> Jon's interpretation may also be contradicted by CSP's view of continuity
> and his extra-ordinary definition of it.
>
> My reading of CSP writings indicate that his philosophy of mathematics and
> logic started with syllogisms and counting and developed over a half
> century of diligently seeking a coherent world view that included the *concept
> of a relation* in its most general semantic forms. Graphs, medads and
> triadicity are only components of the wider developments of his thinking
> about the notion of a "relation".
>
> Before one can conceptualize a relation, one must first have the notion of
> an identity in mind.
> Thus, the metaphysical assertion:
>
> "The union of units unites the unity."
>
> expresses a sentence that infers relations (among units) without making
> any assertion about linear ordering of symbols or the meaning of symbols.
>
> I concur with your remark:
>
> But nothing but confusion will reign from propagating the categorical
> error.
>

> Cheers
>
> Jerry
>

> On Nov 27, 2015, at 10:15 AM, Jon Awbrey wrote:
>
> Gary, all,
>
> It is critically important to understand the difference between relations
> proper and elementary relations, also known as tuples.
>
> It is clear from his first work on the logic of relative terms that Peirce
> understood this difference and its significance.
>
> Often in his later work he will speak of classifying relations when he is
> really classifying types of elementary relations or single tuples.
>
> The reason for this is fairly easy to understand. Relations proper are a
> vastly more complex domain to classify than types of tuples so one
> naturally reverts to the simpler setting as a way of getting a foothold on
> the complexity of the general case.
>
> But nothing but confusion will reign from propagating the categorical
> error.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon
>
> http://inquiryintoinquiry.com
>
> On Nov 27, 2015, at 10:21 AM, <g...@gnusystems.ca> <g...@gnusystems.ca>
> wrote:
>
> List,
>

> Recent discussions have made it clear to me that some readers of Peirce
> who focus on the famous diagram of ten sign types (EP2:296) tend to
> overlook its context, the “Nomenclature and Divisions of Triadic Relations”
> [...]

Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701