From: sji.confor...@gmail.com [mailto:sji.confor...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of
Sungchul Ji
Sent: Thursday, 03 December 2015 12:30 AM
To: PEIRCE-L
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] signs, correlates, and triadic relations

Hi Clark, lists,

You wrote:

"I’m not quite sure why you are applying firstness to structure where
structures                             (120215-1)
are inherently relations and firstness is inherently a thing in itself without
relations."

(1)  It seems that everybody, including you, John (and myself until recently),
assumes that there is only one way to distribute the Peircean categories of
Firstness, Secondness and Thirdness over the three worlds of Burgin, denoted as
S (World of Structures), P (Physical world),and M (Mental world).  Let me
designate such a view as the 1-to-1 view, according to which only one of the 6
possibilities shown in Table 1 is true and the rest are not.  The alternative
view would be that more than one of the 6 possibilities listed in Table 1 can
be true, depending on context. I will refer to this view as the "1-to-many"
view.

Table 1.  Non-deterministic relation between triadic model of the worlds and
Peircean categories.

Possibilities

Firstness

Secondness

Thirdness

 Context or Field of Studies

1

S*

?

2

?

3

?

4

?

5

?

6

?

*S = World of structures
  P = Physical world
  M = Mental world

(2)  It may be necessary to invoke at least two kinds of "structures" -- (i)
"mental structures", i.e, those structures in the world whose existence depends
on the human mind (through discovery, creativity, and production), and (ii)
"real structures" that can exist independent of human mind.  The S in
Possibility 1 and 2 above are of the first kind (i.e., real structures) and the
S  in Possibilities 4 and 6 are of the second kind (i.e., mental structures).

(3)  Even with my very limited reading of Peirce, I can recognize that Table 1
is consistent with the basic tenet of the Peircean semiotics that all signs
(including S, P and M in Table 1) have in each the three basic aspects of
Firstness, Secondness and Thirdness, although each of the 6 possibilites shown
in Table 1 PRESCINDS different aspect of each sign.  For example, Possibility 1
rescinds the Firstness aspect of S, the Secondness aspect of P, and the
Thirdness aspect of M.  In contrast, Possibility 6 prescinds the Firstness
aspect of M, the Secondness aspect of P and the Thirdness aspect of S, etc.

If (2) and (3) are right, the 1-to-many view described in (1) would be
validated.

All the best.

Sung

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Clark Goble