Gary f.

From: Gary Richmond [mailto:gary.richm...@gmail.com]
Sent: 28-Nov-15 17:37

Gary F, list,

Gary, your study is quite helpful and I look forward to its continuation.
Before I comment in a separate post on a remark you made in your most recent
installment, I'd like to say a few general things about semiosis as distinct
from the abstract involutional analysis of classes of possible signs, exactly
the table of ten classes.

Everyone agrees that for Peirce semiosis is a triadic process. But, as you've
suggested, a confusion arises when his table of signs isn't put into an
appropriate context. As I see it, speaking now only of each of the ten classes,
it is just that, an abstract analysis of one of ten classes  of possible signs.
Further, even in the abstraction of Peirce's table, some of these classes
cannot stand on their own and must be part of a more developed sign class when
embodied (as you've already noted, Gary). To try to keep this as uncomplicated
at possible, I'll consider only the first class, the rhematic iconic qualisign,
or qualisign for short.

Neither this sign nor any of the others of the ten classesr represent an actual
semiosis (being that triadic quasi-movement whereas the object (2ns) determines
the sign (1ns) for the interpretant sign (3ns).

GF: Yes, I agree; to represent the actual semiosic process, we would need a
series of diagrams, of the kind Peirce called “moving pictures of thought.” The
triangular layout of the ten sign sign classes (EP2:296) does not give us that;
nor does a single graph in Peirce’s EG system. We can introduce some sense of
directional movement in diagrams by using arrows of some kind (as your trikonic
diagrams do, and as Vinicius Romanini does in his Minute Semeiotic (beginning
with http://www.minutesemeiotic.org/?p=37); and I gather that Jeff Downard is
working on some such diagrams also.) But we still have to label the parts of
the diagram to make them look like quasi-things; and, chances are, we will need
various kinds of “moving pictures” to represent various kinds of semiosis. The
problem is that when we compare various diagrams that seem to differ, we have
to sort out those that differ in their labelling from those that differ because
their objects (the semiosic processes) differ. And some will differ because of
differences in context, too.

For instance, you mention here the “triadic quasi-movement whereas the object
(2ns) determines the sign (1ns) for the interpretant sign (3ns).” It occurs to
me that it might be better to label the object 2c, or #2, for Second Correlate
rather than 2ns, and the same for 1ns and 3ns. But that’s because I’m thinking
in the context of Peirce’s NDTR; and at least in the opening section of that
essay, Peirce does not consider that particular quasi-movement of
determination, where the object determines the sign; he only mentions the
determination of the interpretant by the sign (CP 2.241). Why is that? I’m not
sure.

This kind of thing introduces some ambiguity into our attempts to explain the
relationship between your trikonics and Peirce’s triangle of ten sign types,
for instance. But those relationships could be important for understanding
semiosis diagrammatically. I think the first stage in bringing all these
diagrams together is to apply the ethics of terminology that requires us to use
Peirce’s terms as exactly as he did, when possible — and when it’s not
possible, to invent new terms and avoid those that Peirce used for some other
purpose. And when we use post-Peircean terms, we will have to define them as
carefully as Peirce defined his, before we apply them to the analysis of
semiosic phenomena.

Rather, each is a class of that kind of representamen which Peirce calls a sign
(thanks for making this point as clearly as you did, Gary, and with definitive
textual support, as far as I'm concerned). And each is analyzed, not in the
order of some impossible semiosis (in which absurd case this first sign, the
qualisign, might wholly nonsensically be termed an iconic qualisignific rheme
following the semiosic O -> S -> I formula just mentioned]).

Rather, Peirce analyzes them involutionally whereas the Interpretant (3ns)
involves the object (2ns) which in turn involves the sign itself (1ns) in order
to render, in this case, the class rhematic iconic qualisign  [following the
strictly analytical formula, I involves O involves S (note, Peirce refers to
this both as the order of involution and as the order of analysis, by which he
means specifically categorial analysis from 3ns, through 2ns, to 1ns].

GF: Here again I’ll have to ponder this further. It is obvious that 3ns
involves 2ns that involves 1ns, but in NDTR, Peirce only seems to speak of sign
types involving other sign types; I’m not sure that the Interpretant “involves”
the Object in the same way.

So, the first sign of ten, the qualisign, when embodied will be rhematic
(qualitatively possible) in relation to its interpretant; it will be iconic in
relation to its object; and it will be, as the very sign that it is, a sign of
quality. Each of the ten classes require embodiment, and it is only then that
we can even begin to speak of semiosis. Most agree, I assume, that the
classification of signs belongs to semiotic grammar, the analysis of how signs
can signify (and closely related matters).

GF: Yes, very well put, I think.

I'll discuss your intriguing comment in a separate post with a different
Subject heading.

Best,

Gary