From: g...@gnusystems.ca [g...@gnusystems.ca]
Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2015 10:10 AM
To: 'PEIRCE-L'
Subject: [PEIRCE-L] RE: signs, correlates, and triadic relations

Continuing the study (begun yesterday) of Nomenclature and Divisions of Triadic
Relations:

CP 2.238. Triadic relations are in three ways divisible by trichotomy,
according as the First, the Second, or the Third Correlate, respectively, is a
mere possibility, an actual existent, or a law. These three trichotomies, taken
together, divide all triadic relations into ten classes. These ten classes will
have certain subdivisions according as the existent correlates are individual
subjects or individual facts, and according as the correlates that are laws are
general subjects, general modes of fact, or general modes of law.

[If we substitute the names of the three Correlates of S-O-I as given in 242
(yesterday), the first sentence tells us that this type of triadic relation is
divisible into three trichotomies. The first is according to whether the Sign
is a mere possibility (i.e. qualisign), an actual existent (sinsign), or a law
(legisign). The second is according to whether the Object is a mere
possibility, an actual existent, or a law. The third is according to whether
the Interpretant is a mere possibility, an actual existent, or a law. Due to
the principle cited just previously (235-7), this would give us ten classes of
S-O-I. But only the first trichotomy gives us classes of Signs, and only that
one is used by Peirce to define the ten types of signs. In this essay he does
not elaborate further on the other two trichotomies, or the ten classes of
triadic relations they would generate, or their subdivisions.]

239. There will be besides a second similar division of triadic relations into
ten classes, according as the dyadic relations which they constitute between
either the First and Second Correlates, or the First and Third, or the Second
and Third are of the nature of possibilities, facts, or laws; and these ten
classes will be subdivided in different ways.

[This would give us a second set of trichotomies that would generate ten
classes of triadic relation, but again, Peirce uses only the first of those
trichotomies in his analysis of sign types. This trichotomy is according as the
dyadic relations between Sign and Object (constituted by the S-O-I relation)
are of the nature of possibilities (icon), facts (index), or laws (symbol). Or
as Peirce puts it in 243, “according as the relation of the sign to its object
consists in the sign's having some character in itself, or in some existential
relation to that object, or in its relation to an interpretant”; for that last
relation can only be a law, or habit, in Peircean terms.]

240. It may be convenient to collect the ten classes of either set of ten into
three groups according as all three of the correlates or dyadic relations, as
the case may be, are of different natures, or all are of the same nature, or
two are of one nature while the third is of a different nature.

[As far as I can see, Peirce does not attempt such a collection in NDTR. That
leaves Peirce’s third trichotomy of Signs unaccounted for, so far; and my guess
is that this trichotomy can only apply to genuine triadic relations, such as
are embodied in the processes of representing and determining — which in my
opinion are both genuine, partly because they are mirror images of each other.
But the next paragraph contains the only replica of the word “genuine” in NDTR,
and Peirce does not use its antonym term “degenerate” here at all, so I’ll say
no more about it here.)

241. In every genuine Triadic Relation, the First Correlate may be regarded as
determining the Third Correlate in some respect; and triadic relations may be
divided according as that determination of the Third Correlate is to having
some quality, or to being in some existential relation to the Second Correlate,
or to being in some relation of thought to the Second for something.

[Again substituting the semiotic terms for the more general names of the
Correlates, this tells us that the Sign determines the Interpretant in some
respect; and this gives us Peirce’s third trichotomy of Signs: according as
that determination of the Interpretant is to having some quality (rheme), or to
being in some existential relation to the Object (dicisign), or to being in
some relation of thought to the Object for something (argument).

That brings us to the point where we left off yesterday, CP 2.242, which is
followed by Peirce’s definition of the three trichotomies which will give us
his ten classes of signs. And that’s where I’ll leave it for today.  — gary f.]

242. A Representamen is the First Correlate of a triadic relation, the Second
Correlate being termed its Object, and the possible Third Correlate being
termed its Interpretant, by which triadic relation the possible Interpretant is
determined to be the First Correlate of the same triadic relation to the same
Object, and for some possible Interpretant. A Sign is a representamen of which
some interpretant is a cognition of a mind. Signs are the only representamens
that have been much studied.

243. Signs are divisible by three trichotomies: first, according as the sign in
itself is a mere quality, is an actual existent, or is a general law; secondly,
according as the relation of the sign to its object consists in the sign's
having some character in itself, or in some existential relation to that
object, or in its relation to an interpretant; thirdly, according as its
Interpretant represents it as a sign of possibility or as a sign of fact or a
sign of reason.