Michael, Peircers,

Is the quality of music determined by the final opinion of that music?

If 'yes', do all inquiries into its quality take into consideration the music's
impact on people relative to their history? For example, Penderecki's Threnody
for the Victims of Hiroshima, a very dissonant piece, might be rightly judged
as excellent to those in the shadow of WWII but potentially not to future
people after 500 years of peace (when, say, a Kyle Gann piece with his more
sonorous intonations might be considered the greatest composition of the 20th
century!) In considering change shouldn't we then say the quality of Threnody
as played in one time period to the people with its history is incommensurable
with the quality of the same piece as played to people with a very different
history?

If 'no' and if the piece's true quality is only that which I would be opined in
the long run, then either (1) you must believe there is some principle limiting
how much people can change relative to that music, keeping perceptual judgments
in a corral, or (2) you believe people today who disagree with the final
opinion have 'perverted' tastes, perhaps due to their perverted culture, (I'm
using 'perverted' in the Buddhist sense of viparyasa*), or (3) you believe the
music has inherent quality, that is, you believe its quality should be judged
by the potential final opinion, that after the long run cancels out all
transitory effects the music has had on people there will be some effect left
to signify the music's quality. The third position without the principle of the
first position is contrary to pragmatism because there would be no quality left
to judge, (this is the Buddhist position.) If the first position is your
stance, then what is that principle and how is it established?

The 'esthetics-ethics-logic triad is easily justified with pragmatism by doing
away with 'the long run' and replacing it with historicism. How else can it be
justified?

* viparyasa contains the root 'to throw'; it's also translated as 'overthrow',
'inversion', 'perverseness', 'wrong notion', 'error', 'what can upset',
'upside-down views', all which throw one off the path toward inward calm.
Buddhist Thought in India, pg. 40. by Edward Conze

Matt