Hello Jon S., Gary F., List,

Jon, given what you say in 1&2 below, then we do have a question.  Gary F. says
that qualisigns are always icons, while you say that the icons are always based
on the relation of the sign to the dynamical interpretant.

What, then, should we say about the following kind of case that Peirce
explicitly considers in his writings on perception.  In seeing a yellow chair
with a green cushion, the awareness of the chair and pillow is a percept that
serves as the immediate object.  The percept does not represent the chair.
Rather, it is a vague awareness that is largely characterized in following
terms:  "it appears to me," "makes no professions of any kind," "It does not
stand for anything," "I can’t dismiss is, as I would a fancy."

Peirce asks:  what logical bearing does the percept have upon knowledge and
belief?  He says that it can be summed up in three precepts:
a. It contributes something positive.
b. It compels the perceiver to acknowledge it.
c. It neither offers any reason for such acknowledgement nor makes any
pretension to reasonableness.

If the person perceiving the chair attends to the feeling of yellow, then this
quality of feeling can stand as a qualisign so long as it bears the right kind
of relationship to an interpretant.  In this case, the immediate interpretant
is something like a schema in the imagination, which he describes as having the
form of a skeleton of a set, which is a formal set of relations that can serve
as a diagram of sorts.  To put things in quite simple terms:  the quality of
the feeling of "yellow" can be thought of as a dot (a monadic kind of thing),
that stands in a relation to the quality of feeling of "color," which is also
pictured by Peirce as a dot on a page, and the relation of containment between
yellow and color is pictured as a line between the dots.

So, what is the qualisign? It is not the quality of the feeling of yellow
considered in isolation.  In order for such a quality to serve as a qualisign,
Peirce claims that it must be considered in its relation to other qualities of
the feeling--such as the various shades of yellow, the color green or the
quality of color itself.  What is the immediate interpretant?  It is a possible
diagram consisting of a skeleton of a set that can be constructed of the formal
relations between these colors.  He calls the immediate interpretant the
percipuum.  When he lays out what the percipuum is, it turns out that this
interpretant is quite rich in its relation to past and future anticipated
feelings--all of which are ordered in terms of such things are relative
intensity, time, being spread in space, etc.

What then, is the character of the relation between the qualisign (the quality
of the feeling of yellow) and the immediate object (the vague awareness of the
yellow chair with the green cushion as a percept)?  Jon suggest that this
relationship is not one of iconicity.  Such a term does not apply because this
is an internal relation.  I suspect that this language of internal relation may
prove to be quite helpful, because it is a general way of describing an
important distinction between kinds of relations.  In "On a New List of
Categories," Peirce draws on the scholastic distinction between relations of
equiparance and disquiparance.  The former can fruitfully be thought of as
internal relations of similarity.  How does this help us understand the opening
moves in NDTR?  Peirce later found it necessary to modify the account of what
relations of equiparance consist in:

In my paper of 1867, I committed the error of identifying those relations
constituted by non-relative characters with relations of equiparance, that is,
with necessarily mutual relations, and the dynamical relations with relations
of disquiparance, or possibly non-mutual relations. Subsequently, falling out
of one error into another, I identified the two classes respectively with
relations of reason and relations in re. (CP 1.567)

My hunch is that Peirce's examination genuinely triadic sign relations in NDTR
is guided by his evolving understanding of what is necessary for establishing
the kinds of ordered relations between the vague qualities of feelings in our
percepts that are necessary for making comparisons between such things as the
hue of a yellow chair and the hue of a green pillow.  In fact, I think he is
attributing to the qualisign the features that are necessary to explain how
such comparisons are possible (e.g., in the relatively uncontrolled inferences
that give rise to our perceptual judgments).

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy