Gary F, list,

As I said, I'll leave you the last (substantive) word in these two matters
in this thread. So, as your last word included questions, I'd suggest that
we move the discussion off-list. We seem to be talking past each other and,
again, that may be (1) because our purposes are different and/or (2) you
are still very focused on NDTR and I'm taking a more general view of both
(a) the 9 parameters and (b) the 6 vectors.

But, honestly, I'm surprised at the distance there is between us in both
these matters. Perhaps there's even a (3), that we're working at different
levels of abstraction. This 'surprise' of mine is especially so for the 9
parameters which seem to me to be a pretty standard arrangement--nothing
particularly novel there except an emphasis on the categoriality of all
s-o-i and the 3 x 3 parameters (and my diagramming that categoriality in
the way I do).

Similarly, I pointed to Parmetier as regards the mirror of determination
and representation, so at least I'm not alone in seeing it this way. That
you're not seeing my (his) kind of example as expressing this may also be
the result of (1), (2) or (3). But to be so far apart on what seem to me to
be rather fundamental issues is, I must admit, a bit unnerving.

So, let's take this off-list and, perhaps, onto the "mirror" thread (I'd
rather prefer to discuss all 6 vectors and 3 mirrors there rather than just
the 'determination'/'representation' one as I'll maintaing that one can
find vectors--and even mirrored vectors--throughout Peirce's science and
logic as semiotic (so the consideration of specific examples, that is, any
particular disagreement as to whether something is a 'mirror' or not may be
a not quite to the point--at least as I'm looking at it at the moment).
Perhaps the entirety of this discussion needs a bit 'cooling off'--it
certainly seems to me that I need to distance myself a bit from it, reread
your posts, and try to figure out why we seem to me to be talking past each
other.

I'm also working on a post to introduce an entirely new thread in the
consideration of Peirce's late thinking on pragmatism, and perhaps I'd
prefer to concentrate on that at the beginning of the new year. (My sense
in reading your latest post to the 'mirror' thread is that I'll need to
reflect on your comments there for a while as well before responding).

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*