Jeff, list,

Thanks for the positive response, Jeff! As for where the discussion goes
from here, that's up to you and whoever else wants to follow up on specific
ideas in it. A closer look at determination and reference would certainly be
worthwhile. Another matter that seems to me closely connected is the
discussion we were having awhile back with Franklin Ransom about term,
proposition and argument. The very end of the 1906 "Prolegomena" has a lot
to say about that.

As far as NDTR is concerned, I was thinking of applying to it the idea of
taking the Argument as the one sign type in which the other 9 are involved,
instead of taking it as the one that the others build up to. I've put
together a spreadsheet reformatting much of the latter part of NDTR so that
it's easier to read it backwards, so to speak, working down from Argument to
Qualisign (reversing Peirce's order of presentation) while looking at how
specific parameters change along the way. But I won't have much time in the
next week or so to develop any of these threads in great detail myself, so
I'll just try to follow whatever threads you or others choose to spin off
from here and help out when I can.

One thing I did come across recently "about the role of the different
correlates in these genuine triadic relations" is this bit from the late
piece on "Some Amazing Mazes" (CP 6.318):

[[ I have, since 1870, written much about the logic of relations. In those
writings, I have usually restricted the terms "relations" and
"relationships" to existential relations and relationships. By a
relationship I understand the conception of a fact about a set of things
abstracted from the representation of the things themselves or, in other
words, a predicate which requires more than one subject to complete a
proposition, or conception of a fact. A "relation" only differs from a
"relationship" in that one of the subjects is regarded as being taken
account of first, and is usually called the subject nominative, while the
others are called the direct and indirect objects. In other words a relation
is a predicate requiring one subject nominative and one or more objects in a
definite sequence. In my earlier papers I use the conception of relation
chiefly; in my later ones that of relationship. The difference is little
more than trifling. ]]

But that's it for now.

Gary f.