> On Feb 1, 2016, at 12:21 PM, Stephen Jarosek <sjaro...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> I stumbled upon a fascinating video clip <https://youtu.be/FzcTgrxMzZk> on
> the weekend. Might Peircean-biosemiotic concepts apply also to atoms and
> molecules? Peirce’s “mind hidebound with habits” comes to mind. But back in
> his day, Peirce could never have known what we now know about quantum physics
> and entanglement – he’d have much to say about all this were he alive today.
> Atoms and molecules also have to “know” very specific properties in order to
> make possible the astonishing complexity within a cell. Entanglement is the
> medium by which atoms and molecules “know” (imitate) their properties.

I think the mathematics of quantum mechanics can easily be dealt with by
Peircean semiotics. I suspect though you’re more asking about Peirce’s
appropriation of the Epicurean swerve into his ontology as it relates to the
ontological interpretation of quantum mechanics. (Correct me if that isn’t what
you mean) I don’t know the answer to that if only because it’s far from clear
how to interpret quantum mechanics. Most of the interpretations simply adopt
different ontologies from Peirce. An interesting question might be reconciling
say Everette possible worlds mechanics with how an object determines an
interpretant in Peirce. But while I could see an Everette transformation of
Peircean semiotics at the ontological level this would be different from how
Peirce appears to have conceived it.

The second issue is entanglement. Again this is still very much an open
question in quantum mechanics even if physicists tend to favor certain
interpretations. (Typically against hidden variables) I’m not quite sure what
you mean here but I suspect you’re getting at the teleology vs. efficient
causation issue. Most analysis of quantum entanglement is done at a given time
but it’s possible to also conceive of entanglement across time which some might
see as a way to rescue teleology. (Without looking it up I want to say both
Smolin and Penrose have speculated on this but I might be confusing who wrote
on it - it’s been years since I last looked into this) In this way what a
system evolves to in the future can affect the past which is a kind of
teleology.

One thing to keep in mind when considering Peircean teleology is that it’s not
really the way medievals conceived of teleology where we have intentions of
God. Rather for Peirce teleology was much more about a tendency. A big question
then is how to understand this. My sense is that he’s thinking more of
tendencies within a particular environment for evolution to arrive at certain
solutions. I suspect one might say Peircean teleology is efficient causation +
implications in particular environments. I’m not sure if others would agree.