>”import any useful concepts from any field whatsoever as long as they share
>some commonalities with biology.”

Sung, my own preference is to look first to my axiomatic principles, and then
establish whether observations from reality accord. In this instance, “knowing
how to be”, as a logical extension of Peirce’s pragmatism, provides the basis
for my inference. It fits. For ultimately, for any entity, defining the things
that matter IS about knowing how to be. sj