> On Feb 20, 2016, at 11:15 AM, John Collier <colli...@ukzn.ac.za> wrote:
>
> Thanks Clark. I don’t think of Heidegger as a phenomenologist as much as an
> existentialist (view from studying Heidegger from Bert Dreyfus). Merleau
> Ponty fits the Husserlian model more closely, I think. <>
I always enjoy Dreyfus’ stuff but he tends to have a somewhat different take on
him. Although to my eyes Dreyfus still reads him fundamentally at a
phenomenologist. I think you can see that importance of a phenomenological
stance in the Dreyfus/Searle correspondence where they keep misreading each
other - primarily because Dreyfus is reading Searle as if Searle was also a
phenomenologist. That said, the kind of phenomenological emphasis Dreyfus gives
is definitely quite different than you typically get. There is a more pragmatic
take. While I don’t know the history, I halfway suspect the far more pragmatic
readings of Heidegger arise out of Dreyfus’ influence.

Merleau Ponty I always found as a kind of half-way point between Husserl and
Heidegger. I’m never quite sure what to think about him. He’s got some very
deep analysis of our embodiment yet I don’t think he has enough of a place for
strife/polemos that I see key to Heidegger (and I’d argue Peirce).

> Husserl distinguished between surface and depth phenomenology. The second,
> while not analytical, does involve a further degree of abstraction. I think
> it is there that Husserl become more clearly non or anti psychological.

Yes. I’ve long thought that those seeing the two layers as a difference from
Peirce exaggerate it too much. So like you I think Joe is pushing this a tad
too much. To me Peirce’s move of prescinding generals from experience is simply
too similar to get wrapped up in this. That said I think Husserl's approach is
a tad too formal and so is open to kinds of criticism I’m not sure afflict
Peirce.

The question of how bracketing enables this is of course a deep hole. And since
my Husserl is just too rusty not one I ought go down without refreshing my
memory. That said while Husserl tries to make bracketing do the work of
avoiding psychologizing I’m not sure it works. If only because I think
bracketing is kind of like the paper doubt Peirce criticizes relative to
Descartes. I’m just not sure humans can bracket the way Husserl needs them to.
This is only a problem for Peirce if continuing inquiry were not his
fundamental stance. Effectively that inquiry by a community avoids the problem
of biased armchair phenomenology where we think we escape our psychology more
than I think we can. (In a similar way I think the appeals to intuition in
analytic philosophy often hide psychological crutches - especially when all the
intuitions tend to be from educated western middle class men)

> Though I agree that Husserl was Cartesian in some respects, his
> anti-psychologism in this bracketing form undermines the similarity with
> Cartesian access to the mental.

That’s interesting as to me it ends up being pretty similar structurally to
Cartesian doubt as a positive force of analysis. And, as I said above, perhaps
with the same weaknesses.

> I think that the way in which objects of thought are understood in Husserl
> and Peirce are quite different, for example. (I have always found Husserl’s
> approach to psychologistic for my taste, or at least too reductive.) I think
> Ransdell was correct in focusing on the differences with Peirce here.

To me most of Peirce’s strength ends up taking a more object oriented focus.
That is the objects determine the interpretant rather than acts determining or
selecting the object. This type of externalism avoids the pitfalls of
internalist projects - and effectively Husserl’s project is an attempt to redo
Descartes and avoid his pitfalls but maintain the same basic approach. To my
eyes (although I know not everyone agrees) Husserl's objects are most
interesting as he’s trying to avoid the internal/external divide and have it
both ways. I don’t think it works and I think he falls prey to Cartesianism but
the attempt is fascinating to me. However it’s probably precisely because it’s
there that I see Husserl fail that I like Peirce. I simply think his continuing
inquiry and gap between object, sign and interpretant recognize the problem and
show a way that it’s not disastrous.