List, Stephen:

> On 2/26/2016 5:38 PM, Stephen C. Rose wrote:
> > I see abduction as guessing (and approved by CP), induction as having some
> > evidence but less than deduction which is fallible but the best we can do
> > to prove something. I have been cautioned against writing brief notes to
> > the list. Cheers, S

Have you considered the difference that distinguishes constrained guessing from
mere indexing the possibilities in one’s mind and randomly choosing a member of
the index as a guess?

Is that you mental image of CSP’s usage of the term “abduction” in formal
logics?

If so, then I suggest you have missed the basic elements of CSP’s description
of how to interpret signs in relation to its deictic actions.

In CSP’s view, a sign necessarily has both denotative and connotative actions;
the capabilities of the observer may constrain his (her) interpretative
capacities to one set of indices or another set of indices, depending on the
prior experiences.  The nature of the index assigned to a sinsign is a personal
choice of the individual observer of the sign, is it not?  And, the form of the
index itself may include ethical and moral values, can it not?

In one field of inquiry, the indices from the sinsign, qualisigns and legisigns
may generate a discrete set of abductive choices.  CSP named these choices the
dicisigns.  The choices are, in modern terminology, cybernetic choices in that
they form a circular argument with a bounded set of symbols, legisigns and
sinsigns.  These choices can also be expressed as logical diagrams in CSP
assertions about logical systems.

Cheers

Jerry