Peircers,

The subject of determination comes up from time to time.
Here is a link to an assortment of excerpts I collected
back when I was first trying to understand the meaning
of determination as it figures in Peirce's definition
of a sign relation.

http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/User:Jon_Awbrey/EXCERPTS

Looking back over many previous discussions on the Peirce List,
I think the most important and frequently missed point is that
concepts like correspondence and determination in Peirce refer
to triadic forms of correspondence and determination, and that
these do not reduce to the dyadic structures that are endemic
to the more reductionist paradigms.

In this more general perspective, the family of concepts including
correspondence, determination, law, relation, structure, and so on
all fall under the notion of constraint.  Constraint is present in
a system to the extent that one set of choices is distinguished by
some mark from a larger set of choices.  That mark may distinguish
the actual from the possible, the desired from the conceivable, or
any number of other possibilities depending on the subject in view.

Regards,

Jon

--

academia: http://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey