Ben, Gary R, Jon S, Edwina, List,

I won't have a chance for a full reply for a while,
so let me just state some of the basic principles
that I have applied for almost fifty years now in
the matter of “How To Read And Understand Peirce”.

There is a long-running strain of Peirce commentary that
sees radical modifications in his thinking over the years.
I do not belong to that tradition.  I see more continuity
than radical re-thinking in his thought through the years.
But seeing things that way is due to a certain perspective.

I apply the same principles of charitable and critical
interpretation to Peirce that I do to any other writer.

Charity entails a search for a consistent interpretation if one
is possible at all.  Charity goes only so far with some writers
and some styles of writing, contradictions of a sort that cannot
be glossed over develop almost immediately and about all one can
do is read things emotively/impressionistically after that point.
In Peirce's case I almost always find that a little extra charity
repays itself in the long run.  That is not to deny the apparent
inconsistencies that we find in Peirce's work, taken whole cloth,
as many have noted many, but it does imply a particular strategy
for dealing with the wrinkles that do appear.

Out of time ... will continue later ...

Jon