> On Jun 29, 2016, at 10:37 AM, Benjamin Udell <baud...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Immediate objects may have averageness but the averageness seems not
> definitive of them, and Peirce never makes it so.

It seems to me (perhaps incorrectly) that Peirce raises everydayness for
similar reasons to his common sensism. It’s the background of what makes
communication possible. He makes an argument somewhere (I can’t find it right
now) that most of our beliefs have to be true for communication to work.
(Donald Davidson makes a very similar argument in his writing on communication)

Yet this averageness or everydayness is always indexed to particular groups
with communication codes. But that also means that for us to think in terms of
signs/language (as we all do privately) that there must be an averageness tied
to just us for our private thoughts. At which point the term “average” has
become rather distorted.

> They may also have distinctiveness; an unusual characteristic, perhaps
> displayed at an unusual moment, might be a prominent part of the immediate
> object, as a result of a single prior experience.

Signs will often have a distinctive characteristic yet it seems for it to be
understood as a distinctive characteristic it must be repeated in some sense so
we can make sense of it. This is both a characteristic of thirdness but also
just the requirements that thought be in terms of repeated signs.

This gets one back to Kelly Parker’s work on Peirce’s ontological cosmology.
Even if we reject it as foundational ontology, it seems that something similar
must be going on in any originary experience. For the originary experience to
be comprehensible we have to give it meaning. In terms of the Pragmatic Maxim
that entails a set of practices to verify it. And the very meaning of
verification practice again entails repeatability and (for Peirce) generals for
scholastic realism.

> Also, immediate objects may be both simplified, e.g., a practical "essence"
> consisting in a rule for mentally re-constructing the object, and complicated

Santayana definitely ties immediate objects to essences. I’m not sure Peirce
does although clearly there’s a similarity with Aristotle.

The other thing to keep in mind is again that the experience of the immediate
object can be broken down into components. The following example by Peirce in
his later period is helpful here.

Take for example, the sentence the Sun is blue. “Its Objects are “the Sun” and
“blueness.” If by “blueness” be meant the Immediate Object, which is the
quality of the sensation, it can only be known by Feeling. But if it means that
“Real,” existential condition, which causes the emitted light to have short
mean wave-length, Langley has already proved that the proposition is true. So
the “Sun” may mean the occasion of sundry sensations, and so is Immediate
Object, or it may mean our usual interpretation of such sensations in terms of
place, of mass, etc., when it is the Dynamical Object. It is true of both
Immediate and Dynamical Object that acquaintance cannot be given by a Picture
or a Description, nor by any other sign which has the Sun for its Object. (CP
8.183)

While averageness in the sense of everydayness is part of what makes the
immediate object, there’s also an essential indexical component that goes
beyond what icons or symbols can convey. (At least that’s what I take Peirce to
be meaning in the experience by what is inexpressible by sign)

We should also recognize that Peirce’s primary influence in all this is the
scholastics.

That the common use of the word “object” to mean a thing, is altogether
incorrect. The noun objectum came into use in the XIIIth century, as a term of
psychology. It means primarily that creation of the mind in its reaction with a
more or less real something, which creation becomes that upon which cognition
is directed; and secondarily, an object is that upon which an exertion acts;
also that which a purpose seeks to bring about; also, that which is coupled
with something else in a relation, and more especially is represented as so
coupled; also, that to which any sign corresponds. (MS 693A, 33, 1904)

It’s common to see people taking Peirce in terms of Frege (not that anyone here
is doing that). But I think the scholastic sense gives us an idea of what he’s
grasping at with the distinction. The immediate object is what gets produced by
it’s reaction with the dynamic object in an essentially mediated way. As such
it’s the result of all those prior indirect encounters. While we can loosely
talk about that as a kind of averageness it seems to me that it’s a fairly
unpredictable consequence of how individual brains interact with their
environment. To talk about average to think of it in terms of the common
features of the causes (usually with the arbitrary boundary of “outside the
body”) whereas I think Peirce means it more as the consequence of such causes.

Peirce of course was largely ignorant of contemporary cognitive science. And
the psychology of the era was rudimentary. So I’m not sure he really grasped
just how complicated that process was.

> Furthermore, if such truth-in-the-main as goal distinctive of cenoscopy is a
> kind of _average_, but is not a deductive probability, or even a deductive
> fuzzy probability, then it seems to consist in a _verisimilitude_, in
> Peirce's sense, a likeness to experience as embodied in premisses of an
> inductive inference. http://www.commens.org/dictionary/term/verisimilitude
> <http://www.commens.org/dictionary/term/verisimilitude> .
>
> 1910 | Note (Notes on Art. III) [R] | ILS 123-4; CP 2.663
>
> I will now give an idea of what I mean by _likely_ or _verisimilar_ . [—] I
> call that theory _likely_ which is not yet proved but is supported by such
> evidence, that if the rest of the conceivably possible evidence _should_ turn
> out upon examination to be of a _similar_ character, the theory would be
> conclusively proved. Strictly speaking, matters of fact never can be
> demonstrably proved, since it will always remain conceivable that there
> should be some mistake about it.

Oh, great quote. And I think you’re onto something with verisimilar.
Interestingly I think it does get at a feature of our brains cognitive science
does get at.

I found the other quote you referred to but didn’t quote (from a post of yours
from a few years back). It’s really worth quoting.

By verisimilitude I mean that kind of recommendation of a proposition which
consists in evidence which is insufficient because there is not enough of it,
but which will amount to proof if that evidence which is not yet examined
continues to be of the same virtue as that already examined, or if the evidence
not at hand and that never will be complete, should be like that which is at
hand. (CP 8.224 draft letter to Paul Carus circa 1910 emphasis mine)

Think of how the brain handles memories where there are traces of the original
experience which the brain fills in the gap. Presumably for any experience what
“comes to mind” is already highly processed and tied to other signs in our
brain. That is the immediate object to mind is the object in terms of what
we’ve already encountered. “Of the same virtue as that already examined"

That’s extremely helpful.

> Using such an idea of _verisimilitude_ to _distinguish_ cenoscopy rather
> suggests that cenoscopy would be the science that draws inductive
> conclusions, and that inductive inference in idioscopy would ipso facto be
> applied cenoscopy - things that Peirce never (so far as I know) said, and
> that I think he would not say, although I would say them.

I think part of my problem with the distinction is simply that Peirce sometimes
uses idioscopy in terms of what the “folk” do (my word not his). While I agree
with all you say about it, perhaps the way to distinguish the “folk” is that
there’s more error due to the considerably less evidence.