Clark, list,

[BU] On averageness as a background needed to make communication (and informative difference) possible, you wrote,

    >[CG] At which point the term “average” has become rather distorted.

[BU] I think that you're getting to the point where you might as well be talking simply about generality.

    >[CG] While averageness in the sense of everydayness is part of
   what makes the immediate object, there’s also an essential indexical
   component that goes beyond what icons or symbols can convey. (At
   least that’s what I take Peirce to be meaning in the experience by
   what is inexpressible by sign)

[BU] Note that at one point he calls the immediate object a kind of "image or notion." Peirce had already come to define an image as kind of hypoicon, an icon without an attached index, or as considered apart from an attached index. I think that Peirce is saying in your quote of him not that the immediate object needs an indexical _/component/_ but instead that the experience of blueness cannot be conveyed by *any* sign or signs alone without an experience of blueness, and also that the experience of the Sun's actuality cannot be conveyed by *any* sign or signs alone without an experience of the Sun's actuality. All the icons, indices, and symbols will not experientially acquaint you with the Sun, which you yourself need to pick out and acquaint yourself with; the signs can help you do that but they can't do it for you.

    >[CG] It’s common to see people taking Peirce in terms of Frege
   (not that anyone here is doing that). But I think the scholastic
   sense gives us an idea of what he’s grasping at with the
   distinction. The immediate object is what gets produced by it’s
   reaction with the dynamic object /in an essentially mediated way/.
   As such it’s the /result/ of all those prior indirect encounters.
   While we can loosely talk about that as a kind of averageness it
   seems to me that it’s a fairly unpredictable consequence of how
   individual brains interact with their environment. To talk about
   average to think of it in terms of the common features of the causes
   (usually with the arbitrary boundary of “outside the body”) whereas
   I /think/ Peirce means it more as the consequence of such causes.

   Peirce of course was largely ignorant of contemporary cognitive
   science. And the psychology of the era was rudimentary. So I’m not
   sure he really grasped just how complicated that process was.

[BU] I suspect that Peirce grasped the potential amount of complication in the process, but he was doing a phaneroscopic analysis (that's why, for example, he calls the immediate object an object rather than a sign). But he's also focusing on the phaneroscopy of a theorist's viewpoint in explaining semiosis, wherein the immediate object seems a consequence of an interaction between the mind and something beyond, so I think that you're right there.

    >[CG] Think of how the brain handles memories where there are
   traces of the original experience which the brain fills in the gap.
   Presumably for any experience what “comes to mind” is already highly
   processed and tied to other signs in our brain. That is the
   immediate object to mind is the object in terms of what we’ve
   already encountered. “Of the same virtue as that already examined"

[BU] That reminds me that Peirce finds all three inference modes in the operations of the senses, filling gaps in and so one, except that the best case of deduction that he can find he ends up classing as "on the borderline between deduction and hypothesis." (The term "hypothesis" for abductive inference suggests pre-1900). It is from pages 19-29 of the undated manuscript MS 831, of which I've quoted the Robin Catalogue description a number of times in the past at peirce-l (lamenting that MS 831's text was unavailable):

   [Robin Catalog] The fine gradations between subconscious or
   instinctive mind and conscious, controlled reason. Logical machines
   are not strictly reasoning machines because they lack the ability of
   self-criticism and the ability to correct defects which may crop up.
   Three kinds of reasoning: inductive, deductive, hypothetical.
   Quasi-inferences.

[BU] But then Harvard put MS 831 online, and almost a year ago I transcribed it and posted the transcription at Arisbe http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/menu/library/bycsp/ms831/ms831.htm .

Best, Ben

On 6/29/2016 2:00 PM, Clark Goble wrote:

On Jun 29, 2016, at 10:37 AM, Benjamin Udell <baud...@gmail.com <mailto:baud...@gmail.com> > wrote:

Immediate objects may have averageness but the averageness seems not definitive of them, and Peirce never makes it so.

>[CG] It seems to me (perhaps incorrectly) that Peirce raises everydayness for similar reasons to his common sensism. It’s the background of what makes communication possible. He makes an argument somewhere (I can’t find it right now) that most of our beliefs have to be true for communication to work. (Donald Davidson makes a very similar argument in his writing on communication)

Yet this averageness or everydayness is always indexed to particular groups with communication codes. But that also means that for us to think in terms of signs/language (as we all do privately) that there must be an averageness tied to just us for our private thoughts. At which point the term “average” has become rather distorted.

>>[BU] They may also have distinctiveness; an unusual characteristic, perhaps displayed at an unusual moment, might be a prominent part of the immediate object, as a result of a single prior experience.

>[CG] Signs will often have a distinctive characteristic yet it seems for it to be understood as a distinctive characteristic it must be repeated in some sense so we can make sense of it. This is both a characteristic of thirdness but also just the requirements that thought be in terms of repeated signs.

This gets one back to Kelly Parker’s work on Peirce’s ontological cosmology. Even if we reject it as foundational ontology, it seems that something similar must be going on in any originary experience. For the originary experience to be comprehensible we have to give it meaning. In terms of the Pragmatic Maxim that entails a set of practices to verify it. And the very meaning of verification practice again entails repeatability and (for Peirce) generals for scholastic realism.

>>[BU] Also, immediate objects may be both simplified, e.g., a practical "essence" consisting in a rule for mentally re-constructing the object, and complicated

>[CG] Santayana definitely ties immediate objects to essences. I’m not sure Peirce does although clearly there’s a similarity with Aristotle.

The other thing to keep in mind is again that the experience of the immediate object can be broken down into components. The following example by Peirce in his later period is helpful here.

    [CSP] Take for example, the sentence the Sun is blue. “Its Objects
    are “the Sun” and “blueness.” If by “blueness” be meant the
    Immediate Object, which is the quality of the sensation, it can
    only be known by Feeling. But if it means that “Real,” existential
    condition, which causes the emitted light to have short mean
    wave-length, Langley has already proved that the proposition is
    true. So the “Sun” may mean the occasion of sundry sensations, and
    so is Immediate Object, or it may mean our usual interpretation of
    such sensations in terms of place, of mass, etc., when it is the
    Dynamical Object. It is true of both Immediate and Dynamical
    Object *that acquaintance cannot be given by a Picture or a
    Description, nor by any other sign which has the Sun for its
    Object* . (CP 8.183)

>[CG] While averageness in the sense of everydayness is part of what makes the immediate object, there’s also an essential indexical component that goes beyond what icons or symbols can convey. (At least that’s what I take Peirce to be meaning in the experience by what is inexpressible by sign)

We should also recognize that Peirce’s primary influence in all this is the scholastics.

    [CSP] That the common use of the word “object” to mean a thing, is
    altogether incorrect. The noun objectum came into use in the
    XIIIth century, as a term of psychology. It means primarily that
    creation of the mind in its reaction with a more or less real
    something, which creation becomes that upon which cognition is
    directed; and secondarily, an object is that upon which an
    exertion acts; also that which a purpose seeks to bring about;
    also, that which is coupled with something else in a relation, and
    more especially is represented as so coupled; also, that to which
    any sign corresponds. (MS 693A, 33, 1904)

>[CG] It’s common to see people taking Peirce in terms of Frege (not that anyone here is doing that). But I think the scholastic sense gives us an idea of what he’s grasping at with the distinction. The immediate object is what gets produced by it’s reaction with the dynamic object /in an essentially mediated way/. As such it’s the /result/ of all those prior indirect encounters. While we can loosely talk about that as a kind of averageness it seems to me that it’s a fairly unpredictable consequence of how individual brains interact with their environment. To talk about average to think of it in terms of the common features of the causes (usually with the arbitrary boundary of “outside the body”) whereas I /think/ Peirce means it more as the consequence of such causes.

Peirce of course was largely ignorant of contemporary cognitive science. And the psychology of the era was rudimentary. So I’m not sure he really grasped just how complicated that process was.

>>[BU] Furthermore, if such truth-in-the-main as goal distinctive of cenoscopy is a kind of _/average/_, but is not a deductive probability, or even a deductive fuzzy probability, then it seems to consist in a _/verisimilitude/_, in Peirce's sense, a likeness to experience as embodied in premisses of an inductive inference. http://www.commens.org/dictionary/term/verisimilitude.

    1910 | Note (Notes on Art. III) [R] | ILS 123-4; CP 2.663

    I will now give an idea of what I mean by _/likely/_ or
    _/verisimilar/_ . [—] I call that theory _/likely/_ which is not
    yet proved but is supported by such evidence, that if the rest of
    the conceivably possible evidence _/should/_ turn out upon
    examination to be of a _/similar/_ character, the theory would be
    conclusively proved. Strictly speaking, matters of fact never can
    be demonstrably proved, since it will always remain conceivable
    that there should be some mistake about it.

>[CG] Oh, great quote. And I think you’re onto something with verisimilar. Interestingly I think it does get at a feature of our brains cognitive science does get at.

I found the other quote you referred to but didn’t quote (from a post of yours from a few years back). It’s really worth quoting.

    By verisimilitude I mean that kind of recommendation of a
    proposition which consists in evidence which is insufficient
    because there is not enough of it, but which will amount to proof
    if that evidence which is not yet examined continues to be of the
    same virtue as that /already examined/, or if the evidence not
    at hand and that never will be complete, should be /like that
    which is at hand/. (CP 8.224 draft letter to Paul Carus circa 1910
    emphasis mine)

>[CG] Think of how the brain handles memories where there are traces of the original experience which the brain fills in the gap. Presumably for any experience what “comes to mind” is already highly processed and tied to other signs in our brain. That is the immediate object to mind is the object in terms of what we’ve already encountered. “Of the same virtue as that already examined"

That’s extremely helpful.

Using such an idea of _/verisimilitude/_ to _/distinguish/_ cenoscopy rather suggests that cenoscopy would be the science that draws inductive conclusions, and that inductive inference in idioscopy would ipso facto be applied cenoscopy - things that Peirce never (so far as I know) said, and that I think he would not say, although I would say them.