Jerry R., List:

JR:  *Is CP 5.189 his lanterna pedibus, the light to guide our researches? *

JR:  Should we adopt it more consciously at the outset for discussion of
dark questions, despite its characterization as heuristic:

JR:  “This is an *imperfect view* of the application which the conceptions
which, according to our analysis, are the most fundamental ones find in the
sphere of logic. It is believed, however, that it is sufficient to show
that at least something may be usefully suggested by considering this
science in this *light*.” ~Peirce

The connection suggested here seems tenuous at best.  Peirce wrote the
quoted text in 1868, as the conclusion of "On a New List of Categories"--35
years *before* presenting CP 5.189 in the last 1903 Harvard lecture.

JR:  It is a question about whether we, as *all who investigate*, are
willing to take seriously CP 5.189, “the form abduction ought to take”,

This is also a bit misleading.  Peirce does not say that CP 5.189 is "the
form abduction ought to take"; he begins setting forth one of the
anticipated objections to it by saying, "even if this be the normative form
of abduction, the form to which abduction ought to conform ..."  Granted,
he does call this "the form of inference" for abduction, which he describes
as having "a perfectly definite logical form."

Still, I wonder--is it proper to treat CP 5.189 as THE definitive statement
of how abduction works?  Or does that risk becoming the kind of dogmatism
that Peirce typically decried?